LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 yupyup
|
Got this one wrong. Was between C and D. But chose D. I think I get it now though. Is D wrong because the policy of readjustment encourages "the assimilation of Native Americans as individuals..." and answer choice D talks about restoring land to their their original tribes as a whole?

What attracted me to C were lines 5-8. If life on reservations prevents Natives Americans from exercising their rights (which is the belief that drove the readjustment movement), it makes sense that the readjustment movement would support the establishment of programs to encourage Native Americans to move out of these reservations.

Is my thought process right?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Yup, yupyup!

Readjustment was about getting Native Americans to assimilate into mainstream society. If life on the reservations was inhibiting that assimilation, then readjustment would have supported programs to encourage relocation off of reservations. Good job!

Answer D appears to be an opposite answer. Returning land to the tribes has nothing to do with readjustment, and might even frustrate its goals by increasing the size and influence of reservation life.
 yupyup
|
Thank you Adam!
Adam Tyson wrote:Yup, yupyup!

Readjustment was about getting Native Americans to assimilate into mainstream society. If life on the reservations was inhibiting that assimilation, then readjustment would have supported programs to encourage relocation off of reservations. Good job!

Answer D appears to be an opposite answer. Returning land to the tribes has nothing to do with readjustment, and might even frustrate its goals by increasing the size and influence of reservation life.
 Zach-Fox
|
Okay, so this one has me kinda mad. I've combed through this passage several times and I see no connection to urban areas within the passage. Nothing I can see would point me to think that readjustment was specifically about encouraging Native Americans to relocate into urban areas. The passage mostly suggests that readjustment was the idea of giving Native Americans rights by encouraging to be a part of American society, but does not suggest anything about urban areas. It doesn't seem to reference specific programs either?

Unless somebody can point something out to me that I'm sorely missing??

I understand that the passage suggests rights were infringed by living on reservation, but Answer C seems way to specific with information that is not found within the passage, and its not even an inference question.
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Zach,

Understanding exactly what's being asked is the first key to this question. This is actually an inference question, as a "Most Strongly Supported": by asking what is "most consistent with" the idea of readjustment, we're being asked for what more specific policy or action would likely fall under that more general policy of readjustment.

The second key flows directly from this: we need to know what "readjustment" actually means. It's defined in the passage as "advocat[ing] the end of the federal government’s involvement in Native American affairs and encourag[ing] the assimilation of Native Americans as individuals into mainstream society." That's pretty vague, but it's the only textual support that we really have so it's what we'll go by in testing the answer choices. The correct answer choice will either lessen the federal government's involvement in Native American life, lead to Native American assimilation into larger American society, or both.

(A)--This is tempting at first, as it makes it sound like tribes would be more self-governing and thus less governed by the federal government. The problem is that the passage makes no mention of tribal government, as it's focused only economic aspects of readjustment. We don't even know that tribes didn't have elected governments at the time when readjustment policies were introduced.

(B)--Readjustment is about becoming more like mainstream Americans, so preserving native culture seems to run counter to that idea. Immediate loser.

(C)--This is tricky, and does require a bit of thought, but careful analysis can get us there. If Native Americans are moving away from reservations and into "urban areas," they are almost certainly integrating more into mainstream American society; urban areas in America are predominantly non-Native American, and have individual property ownership as described in the latter paragraphs of the passage. So this is actually supported by the passage's definition of readjustment, and the correct answer choice.

(D)--Similar to (B), this is an Opposite Answer that goes directly against readjustment's goals. Loser.

(E)--We don't know what the Federal treaty obligations are, so this answer is unknowable. More likely an Opposite Answer than the correct answer, another Loser.

Hope this clears things up!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.