LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Passage Discussion

VIEWSTAMP Analysis:

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 ashirachugh
|
Hi Powerscore,

could you please share the passage breakdown with the VIEWSTAMP method to analyze the structure of the passage. Particularly, I'd like some advice on some advice on how to observe close reading on this passage. Thank you!
 Ryan Twomey
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey ashirachugh,

1st paragraph

View point 1--- Many argue recent developments in technology enable artists to vary forms of expression

Example of viewpoint 1--- steadicam

Author view--- seems to agree with this view point although we don't know for sure yet

2nd paragraph

Viewpoint 2: technology will subvert and ruin the arts and live performances

Author view--- disagrees with viewpoint 2

3rd paragraph

Evidence asserted by the author as to why technology helps art. This evidence asserts that photography helped painting develop.

View Stamp summary

View points are addressed above. The author's point of view is always the most important and you want to relate other view points back to the author's point of view.

Structure--- this can be summarized as just knowing where everything is. This is addressed in the explanation above

Tone: this is sort of related to author point of view. I think the author has a strong tone here in support of one view point.

Arguments: this is sort of related to author point of view again, but the author makes an argument as to why one view is correct and one view is incorrect.

Main point: I always describe main point as the topic of the passage + the author point of view. The topic of the passage is a debate on whether technology subverts art. The author point of view states that technology does not subvert art.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Ryan

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.