LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (A).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 esther913
|
PowerScore LSAT Accelerated Course Homework p.292 #2
Hi,
How can I infer answer choice (A) from the passage?
I can’t find where the author shares an opinion with the opponents.
The homework answer key points out lines 27-35 in the second paragraph, but I don’t understand why. :-?
I thought the author was criticizing the opponents by saying that they have “assumptions that seem unnecessarily cynical."
What am I missing?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Esther,

The trick to this question is to realize that the author is addressing the opponent's concerns. In lines 23-27, the author mentions the critique that live performance could be jeopardized, but in line 33-35 states that worries about continued live performance are cynical. The author agrees that live performance is important, but disagrees that it is at risk.
 esther913
|
Dear Brook,
Thank you for helping me understand the passage.
I would like to ask one more question to make sure that I am on the right track:
Is answer choice (A) supported by lines 33-35?
Please let me know!
Thank you.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Absolutely, esther913! The author talks in those lines about being "committed enough" to the preservation of live performance, which strongly suggests that such preservation is a positive thing. If the view that we are not committed enough is a negative view, then being committed must be something worthwhile. Good work!
 esther913
|
Dear Adam,
Now I fully understand why (A) is the correct answer!
Thank you for the clarification :)
 sarahlara
|
Hello, I got this question right but in my process I was between A and E. I picked A in the end because the language used in E, specifically "especially vulnerable to technological innovation." I felt this was a little too strong, so I chose A instead. But I wanted to make sure my thinking was correct in this, so please let me know and thank you for your help!
 Beth Hayden
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sarah,

First of all, it raised a red flag for me that (E) uses the word "vulnerable," because that kind of implies that technological innovation might harm the performing arts. Whereas here the author clearly thinks that technology can be a good thing for artistic performances. That doesn't necessarily prove that (E) is wrong, but it's a clue that it probably isn't what we want.

Another problem with (E) is that the author doesn't ever say that performing arts are especially vulnerable to being impacted by technology. They also talk about film and photography--these are all used as examples for why technology doesn't have to hinder creative expression in art. The author never tries to compare the impact of technology on those different creative spaces.

Hope that helps!
 fortunateking
|
Dear Powerscore people,
Q2 goes to paragraph 2, where the opponent uses live performance to illustrate that technology subverts the artistic enterprise. (by the "for example" of line 24) So my question is how can we infer from the passage that the live performance is an IMPORTANT aspect of the artistic enterprise? As if I say that Jimmy is a friend of mine doesn't equal to say that Jimmy is an IMPORTANT friend of mine.
 Beth Hayden
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Fortuna,

The fact that the author makes it a point to talk about being "committed enough" to preserving live performance shows that the author thinks it is important. As Adam talks about in an earlier comment, if the author thinks that not being committed enough to something is a bad thing, then being committed is a good thing.

Also, the word "preserve" in this context strongly points to the author thinking live performance is important. We tend to preserve things that are important which we want to stick around--why put in the effort to preserve something if it's unimportant? When you are looking to figure out the author's opinion in reading comp passages words like "preserve" are subtle clues as to the author's point of view on the subject.

Hope that helps!
Beth

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.