LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

kcho10
|
Hi,

(A) looked really good to me except for the fact that it said Oil Companies were doing the experimenting. But the passage says Researchers are the ones experimenting, from what I can see. How can we infer the two are the same?
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
kcho10 wrote:Hi,

(A) looked really good to me except for the fact that it said Oil Companies were doing the experimenting. But the passage says Researchers are the ones experimenting, from what I can see. How can we infer the two are the same?

Hello kcho10,

It may be safe to assume that the researchers are working for the oil companies. For whom else would they be working?

Hope this helps,
David
 pasu1223``
|
Hello can you explain why answer choice A is more correct than answer choice C?

I feel like 95% of the passage is discussing the pipes...

Thanks for the help!
 Eric Ockert
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Remember that in Main Point questions (and most questions on Reading Comprehension) you must meet a provability standard for your correct answer. So the entire answer must be provable from what you read in the passage.

Answer (C) talks of "developing new pumps" designed to "enhance human labor efficiency". But the passage talks of redesigning existing pumps, not developing new ones. Also, this redesign is intended to "diminish the need for human labor" on platforms or to eliminate platforms, not to enhance human labor efficiency.

Answer (A) on the other hand, while more vague, is accurate. The redesign of these pumps would qualify as "experimenting with technologies". Also, eliminating the need for human labor would "help diminish the danger" to these workers.

When assessing your answer choices, try to focus on eliminating answers that don't match the passage rather than just looking for the "best" answer. The LSAT is very good at crafting answers that sound pretty close to test takers' likely prephrase but that ultimately don't match the passage in at least one fundamental way.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.