LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 lathlee
|
I had A) or D) as final contender and went with A) as the final choice

the Powerscore answer sheet says d is the correct one.

cuz the answer choice D) states: arguing in favor of changes in method.

Cuz in other lessons of Powerscore, the word, argue is rather viewed somewhat of the negative form of stating an argument. and It would be unlikely that the author would unlikely describe his own method as somewhat negative tone.

Also, I know the author wants to adopt a new approach for women's studies which I can see and agree with Powerscore but in order for a concept of "arguing" to be functional, the author has to decisively let down one concept and his proposed concept is the better one. I don't see such decisiveness.

Wham am i NOt seeing
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Where did you get the idea that "argue" has negative connotations, lathlee? Many passages are primarily arguments, but that doesn't make them negative. There can be arguments in favor of something as well as against something. Here, the author is making a case for expanding the way we define our terms and do our research so that we might gather more information about women in medicine in medieval times. "Making a case" is the same as arguing - he presents premises in support of his conclusion of thesis. Now admittedly there is some negative tone aspect to the passage in that the author seems critical of the limitations placed in earlier research that may have led to women being underrepresented, but that doesn't mean his argument has a negative cast to it.

This passage isn't so passive that we would describe it as primarily one of description. The author isn't trying to simply describe things for us, but to suggest that changes should be made. That's an argument!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.