LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 OneSeventy2019
|
Powerscore,

I was able to narrow down my choices between A and C (ultimately, I chose the correct answer C but took probably too much time deciding). I felt that the author would probably agree with both A and C but felt that C was superior because of how closely it matches with the 4th paragraph.

My question is if there is a reason that choice A is wrong per se; Or is choice C just stronger?

Choice A mentions that Haffer's hypothesis is "an intriguing (probably, right? - Line 34; Lines 45-46) and complete (too strong?) explanation for the high rate of species diversity in the Amazon basin" (also, an explanation for the distribution of species?).

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance!
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi OneSeventy! Nice job picking the correct answer in the end.

You've pointed out the problem with Answer Choice (A) - "complete" is just too strong. There's nothing in the passage to indicate that the author would sign off on such a strong descriptor of Haffer's hypothesis. When an answer choice to a question like this assigns a strong adjective to an author's opinion, make sure there's some specific support for that adjective in the text of the passage. If there isn't, it's likely an incorrect answer. Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.