LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=10807)

The correct answer choice is (B)

This question stipulates that only the 2-2-2 distribution applies. Since the selection of variables for aisle 3 is restricted to exactly two of M, P, and R, there would only be three combinations of variables available for that aisle—MP, MR, and PR. A PR block, however, would violate the first rule of the game. Likewise, an MR block in aisle 3 cannot be satisfied in a 2-2-2 distribution, because it forces P to be alone in aisle 2:
oct12_game_3_#15_diagram_1.png
Thus, we can infer that if aisle 3 contains exactly two sections, those sections must be M and P:
oct12_game_3_#15_diagram_2.png
Next, recall that R must be located in the same aisle as either F or M (first rule). With M unavailable, R and F must form a block in aisle 1 or 2. This leaves H and S to form the last vertical block, in either aisle 1 or 2, proving answer choice (B) correct:
oct12_game_3_#15_diagram_3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 TheKingLives
|
I apologize if this question has an obvious answer, but if M and R are in aisle 3, couldn't aisle 1 have H and F and aisle 2 have S and P? I got stuck here during the game. Thank you!

H S M
F P R
1 2 3
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You're violating the third rule there, your Highness! S must be in a lower numbered aisle than P, so they cannot be in the same aisle as each other. Make sure to always run your answer choices through all the rules, like a filter! That's how you can avoid mistakes like that one.
 TheKingLives
|
Ah, of course! Sorry, I connected my S-P rule to my F-M, F-P rule and it must have slipped past me. Will do!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.