LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (A).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 kuma-turtle
|
Dear PowerScore,

Please guide me in finding the reference to read "rate" (L.17) as (A) serotonin in produced from the tryptophan.
I assume the connection is on L.15 "derivative" but I don't know how to understand "rate" as a reference to it.

Thank you very much in advance.
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi kuma!

Great question. Here the sentence immediately prior to the sentence in line 17 which gives us our contextual meaning:

"Serotonin is a derivative of tryptophan, an amino acid that is normally present at low levels in the bloodstream. The rate of conversion is affected by the proportion of carbohydrates in an individual's diet;"

The term "derivative" in the first sentence is meant to be equivalent to "conversion" in the second sentence. Loosely speaking, both mean to "come from" something. Here, the serotonin comes (i.e. converts or derives) from the tryptophan making Answer (A) correct. Remember, when you are struggling with meaning you may have to go back up or go below a term in order to guess at its full meaning. Thanks for the great question and I hope this helps! :-D
 kuma-turtle
|
I see!
Thank you very much for your reply!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.