LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 deck1134
|
I unsuccessfully disproved A, B, C, D, and E. My prephrase was: "You cannot interpret a law so long as one exists." What am I missing?

Thanks
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The English approach to law as described in the passage is almost that restrictive, Deck, but the passage does provide us with one "out". You'll find it in these lines, starting in the early 40s:
Once the legal rule...has been clearly established, and the legality of the rule is not in question (emphasis added), application of that rule precludes from consideration substantive arguments
But what if the legality of the rule is in question? Then we're outside the scope of that formal requirement, and a substantive approach might be allowed. That's where answer choice C fits in, with the "illegal rule" exception.

Did you prephrase this one? Since that appears to be the only exception alluded to, that would be your best, and only, way to prepare for the correct answer here. Always prephrase!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.