LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (E).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice.

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 rjhyman
|
Hello! I thought the answer to this question was A. After re-reading the full sentence that contains "circular ground plan for churches", I understand why the correct choice is D, but still don't see how A is incorrect. Could someone please explain why A is wrong and how best to attack Specific Reference and Purpose/Function questions in the future? Thank you!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi rj,

First, the answer here is answer choice (E), not answer choice (D). I'm assuming that's a typo, but if you are still confused about the correct answer, please ask for further clarification!

Answer choice (A) was a tempting wrong answer here because it uses familiar terms we'd like to see, such as technology. But answer choice (A) is a good example of why you need to prephrase before looking at the answer choices. When I see a specific reference question, I immediately go back to the passage, even if I think I know how something was used. I reread the entire last paragraph prior to prephrasing my answer. The paragraph is all about how Wagner balanced his love of classical forms and his embrace of modern forms. The church is a great example in that it used the classical inspiration of historic churches while meeting the modern needs of clear sight-lines/gasometers. When I look for the correct answer choice, I want to see something that addresses that balance.

For answer choice (A), there's nothing in that paragraph or section that indicates that the circular church was a technological innovation that Wagner introduced. The circular ground plan has roots in classical churches, and we have nothing to support that Wagner introduced that structure. There's no indication that the gasometer was introduced by Wagner either. Answer choice (A) is wrong for the same reason as so many other wrong answer choices in a must be true question---because it isn't proven completely by the information above.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.