LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Passage Discussion

VIEWSTAMP Analysis:

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 jdureault
|
Hi! I only got 2 out of the 7 questions correct on this passage and would love if someone could go through a viewstamp of this for me! It would be really helpful to see what I missed. Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'll take a stab at that for you, jdureault! Here's how I see it:

Viewpoints:
Critics of modern architecture (generally not happy with it)
The author (agrees with the critics but says it is not the fault of the founders, like Wagner)
Otto Wagner (lots of info on his viewpoint throughout the passage, but mainly captured in the quotation in the middle of paragraph 2)

Structure:
P1: Criticism of a phenomenon; author says not the founders fault
P2: Background of the phenomenon; specific founder discussed; author acknowledges how it could be misunderstood
P3: True intentions of the founder; he intended a very different result
P4: Explanation of founder's background, explains why he felt as he did

Tone:
Academic but not neutral; defends the founder against criticism

Arguments:
Author argues that Wagner's background and writings prove that the flaws in modern architecture should not be blamed on him; he was misunderstood.

Main Point:
Modern architectures flaws are not Otto Wagner's fault, as he envisaged art playing the dominant role.

This passage follows a fairly common structure in RC passages - some people (critics, usually) believe something, but they are mistaken in some way, and the author spends the bulk of the passage correcting their misconceptions and defending someone or something against their criticism. It's usually some version of "they misunderstood and need to reevaluate in a new light." Once you spot that standard pattern in this and other passages, it gets a lot easier to follow how it all plays out, and the Tone and Main Point are usually clearly derived from that structure.

Give it another look and see if that all lines up for you!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.