LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 Khodi7531
|
So I chose C on this question, although I didn't like "more important".

I didn't cross off B...however, C I thought I was able to support from lines 5-8 and thought "more important" was supported by the portion that states "overriding concern".

Especially because this was a MBT and the question asks what the author of the passage stated...it was something that checked off two things for me.

What are your thoughts on this?
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Khodi,

If C were true, cost-efficiency would need to also be more important than utility, but there is no basis for that in the text (including in lines 5-8). This question is one where the answers mostly all sound plausible by using buzzwords from the text, so the trick here is to make sure you have an exact match. The only exact match is B. :)
 Khodi7531
|
I may be playing a little more of a devils advocate here but how do I know utility falls under a practical concern?

Is 5-8 the line reference that would support B as well?
 Alex Bodaken
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Khodi7531,

You can tell that utility is a practical concern because the first sentence says that modern architects have been criticized for "emphasizing practical and technical issues at the expense of aesthetic concerns," which then leads into a second sentence saying "cost-efficiency and utility have become the overriding concerns of the modern architect." These two sentences are structured so that one can infer that the examples provided in the second sentence (cost-efficiency and utility) are examples of the "practical and technical issues" mentioned in the first, even though it is not explicitly stated. And yes, lines 5-8 are the key ones to focus on here.

Hope this helps!

AB

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.