LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 biskam
|
I chose E instead of D here.

I want to make sure I'm correct here... Wagner is considered a founder of modern architecture, right? If so, then according to the third paragraph, which says art and engineering are equally as important, I can see how D can be correct.

Then E would be incorrect because, while true, it's too narrow of a choice to encapsulate the main point.

I might also be completely wrong here. Would appreciate help in looking over my reasoning, telling me why E is wrong and D is right.
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi biskam,

Generally, with Main Point questions you are likely to see at least two or three answers that are overly narrow. This is a good example of one and your logic is correct.

Thanks for the great question.
 KhaliaCWilliams
|
Can you explain here why D is correct over all the other answer choices

I chose A because I felt as though it was broad enough to explain the overall argument of the passage.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Khalia,

Answer choice (A) is a great restatement of the introduction, but doesn't really address the passage as a whole. It doesn't really get at Wagner's influence or beliefs, nor does it address the viewpoints of modern architects. Answer choice (D) on the other hand, addresses the main point of the passage. Modern architects don't see the practical concerns as overriding the artistic concerns. The section of the passage where it discussed the inspiration for church designs, for example, illustrated the general views of modern architecture. There was a practical reason for the design, but when it came down to it, the real inspiration was artistic.

Hope that helps!
Rachael
 MeliXi
|
I had trouble with choice D.
- "founderS" of modern architecture is stated in the answer choice, but the passage only discusses 1 individual. the passage doesn't discuss the beliefs of any other individuals.
- I was uncomfortable with the use of "the past." isn't it a modern concern that practical & technical issues are being emphasized at the expense of aesthetics? so how does "aesthetic concerns of the past" make sense?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Mel,

The last sentence of the first paragraph speaks of plural "founders" of modern architecture, and the point of the passage is to absolve the founders of criticism by focusing on Wagner's theories. If Wagner was the only founder who could be absolved of blame, then the author couldn't have made that statement about absolving the founders of blame in that last sentence.

The passage is trying to dispel the myth that pre-modern architects had aesthetic concerns, but modern architecture was entirely devoid of aesthetic concern, replacing it with a purely utilitarian way of viewing architecture. Those are the "aesthetic concerns" in the answer choice. "Superseded" means "replaced", which makes sense - the misplaced criticism the author is trying to refute is a view that thinks aesthetic concerns used to matter, but don't matter anymore to modern architects.

Robert Carroll
 AspenHerman
|
Hi, is the "this symbiotic relationship essential to Modernism, art was to exercise the controlling influence" at the end of the third paragraph what is really indicative of the main point? Now that I know the answer, I have an easier time seeing what phrasing lends itself to D as the main point, but I really don't think I could have gotten this on my own.

Other parts of the passage that lend to D: the church example, last sentence of the second paragraph being looked at with nuance (picture more complex) in the third paragraph, Wagner's history as a classicist... are these indicative of what the main point?

Lesson 4 HW Humanities Passage #4
 cutiepie
|
I chose answer choice A for this question. I don't see how " indicates that the failures of modern architecture cannot be blamed on the ideals of its founders." part of the sentence would lead me to choose answer D. How is D better than answer A
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
cutiepie wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:18 am I chose answer choice A for this question. I don't see how " indicates that the failures of modern architecture cannot be blamed on the ideals of its founders." part of the sentence would lead me to choose answer D. How is D better than answer A
Hi cutiepie,

I have moved your post to the thread discussing this question. Please review the above posts, particularly Rachael's explanation:
Answer choice (A) is a great restatement of the introduction, but doesn't really address the passage as a whole. It doesn't really get at Wagner's influence or beliefs, nor does it address the viewpoints of modern architects. Answer choice (D) on the other hand, addresses the main point of the passage. Modern architects don't see the practical concerns as overriding the artistic concerns. The section of the passage where it discussed the inspiration for church designs, for example, illustrated the general views of modern architecture. There was a practical reason for the design, but when it came down to it, the real inspiration was artistic.

Hope that helps!
Rachael
Let us know if that helps, or if you still have further questions! Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.