LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=5457)

The correct answer choice is (B)

To attack this question, use proper List question technique: take one rule and apply it to all answer choices, then take another rule, and apply it to the remaining answer choices, and so on, until only one answer choice remains. However, do not just take the rules in the order given. Instead, choose the rules to apply in order of the ease of seeing them visually inside each answer choice. In this game, the rules should be applied in this order: fifth, fourth, first, second, third, sixth.

Answer choice (A): This answer choice violates the fourth rule and is therefore incorrect.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice violates the first rule and is therefore incorrect.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice violates the fifth rule and is therefore incorrect.

Answer choice (E): This answer choice violates the sixth rule and is therefore incorrect.

As is often the case in List questions, each of the incorrect answers violates a different rule.
 Adeline
|
Hi! Thank you for the explanation.
I am a new student at PowerScore. I know this is not a hard question, but could you further explain why (E) violates the 6th rule? Y is lecturing before V in choice E so I am a little confused why is it wrong?

Thanks!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Adeline,

Sure, we are happy to help! Let's start by looking at the rule in question, which reads:

• Powell lectures first if, but only if, Young lectures before Vaughan.
This is an interesting rule, one that is conditional in nature. It also features the very notable phrase "if, but only if" which, as discussed in the course and the LRB, produces a double arrow relationship: :dbl: .

In other words, both things happen together, or neither happens. In this case, the two things happening together are P in 1 and
Y :longline: V:

• P1 :dbl: Y :longline: V
So, if one of the above happens, the other must also happen. In answer choice (E), Y lectures before V, so that condition is met, but P does not lecture first, creating a violation of the rule.

For more information on the double arrow in our Forum, see my two responses in this thread:

..... The DOUBLE ARROW

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 Adeline
|
Hi Dave, I get it now!
Thank you for your explanation :)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.