LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

ser219
|
Hi!

Question 10 is: Which one of the following can be inferred from the passage concerning the relationship between the African American population and the law in the Chesapeake Bay region of Virginia between 1650 and 1670?

I understand why B is correct. I initially missed the sentence that states "when the proportion of African Americans in Virginia increased dramatically." Now that I see this sentence, the answer makes sense.

I originally chose C ( Because of discriminatory laws, black farmers suffered more economic setbacks than did white farmers) and I am having trouble understanding why it is wrong. I originally picked this as the right answer because the example of Anthony Johnson showed that the laws were impeding on the success of African Americans. The passage concludes with:
"But the answer to why the Johnsons left that area where they had labored so long may lie in their realization that their white neighbors were already beginning the transition from a largely white indentured labor force to reliance on a largely black slave labor force, and that the institution of slavery was threatening their descendants' chances for freedom and success in Virginia."

This led me to pick B as an answer. Could someone explain why B is better than C?

Thank you!
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ser219,

Answer (B) is supported by lines 40-49, which explains that when the proportion of African Americans increased dramatically during the 1660s, Virginia responded by restricting interracial relations and changes in slave status.

Answer (C) states that discriminatory laws led to economic setbacks for black farmers as compared to white farmers. The passage does not address laws that impacted black farmers economically. It does provide an example of one black farming family that left Virginia because they feared a loss of freedom and "success," but that does not necessarily mean economic success.

I hope this explanation helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.