LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

oliviag
|
Hi there,

I was pretty stuck on this one--I ended up choosing E, since I understood "the current understanding of neurogenesis" to be that it doesn't occur in adult mammals, and it seems like the author would disagree with that. Is this wrong because birds aren't mammals?

Thanks!
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Olivia!

It's a little too strong to say that the author thinks the current understanding of neurogenesis is incorrect. The last paragraph states "Although the idea of neurogenesis in the adult mammalian brain is still not generally accepted, these findings might help uncover a mechanism that would enable the human brain to repair itself through neurogenesis." This is not strong enough to say the the author definitely thinks that neurogenesis occurs in adult mammals (which would make the current understanding incorrect), just that the author thinks it is possible that neurogenesis could occur in adult mammals and scientists should continue to investigate it. That's why "incomplete" is a stronger answer choice. The author thinks scientific investigations should continue to give us a more complete picture of neurogenesis and determine more definitively whether or not it is possible in adult mammalian brains.

Degree of certainty is an important concept on the LSAT and it comes into play in a couple of different ways in must be true questions. First, you have to pay attention to how certain the author is in their statements. Are they saying that something is definitely true, probably true, or possibly true? In the sentence above, we have the word "might," which indicates a possibility. Second, we need an answer choice that we are certain to be true, and, generally speaking, it is easier to be certain about less certain statements. In other words, it's generally easier to prove that something is possibly true then it is to prove that something is definitely true. In these answer choices, "incorrect" is a more certain term than "incomplete." It's easier to prove that the author thinks the current understanding is "incomplete" than it is to prove the author thinks the current understanding is totally "incorrect." The difference between degrees of certainty can make a big difference in must be true questions!

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 yycstudent
|
Hello,

I was juggling between B and C and ended up picking B "progressive" as I interpreted that although the idea of neurogenesis is not quite accepted, the findings might be helpful in some ways ("uncover a mechanism that would enable the human brain to repair itself through neurogenesis)

Can someone please assist me with further information of how B is incorrect?

Thank you
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi yycstudent,

Progressive can mean a few different things, so let's think about them all in relation to this passage.

One definition would be developing in stages, or step by step. We don't see that sort of development in this passage. There aren't clear stages that the understanding progresses through. We have a traditional understanding, a new discovery, and possible areas for further exploration. But it's not a clear step-by-step progression.

Another definition would be related to reform or liberal ideas. That's not this passage either. There's no move to completely reform how neurogenesis is understood, but merely a need to incorporate a new finding into our current understanding of the process.

Incomplete is the most supported word by the passage. The author is clear that they think that there is an area that the science could explore further. Since there's something further to do, the current knowledge is incomplete.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.