LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (E).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice.

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 avengingangel
|
Why is C incorrect? Because the author doesn't explicitly say it? I chose it because it's implied by the author, throughout the whole passage, but specifically in the 3rd paragraph).

Also, why is E correct? The passage does not note that those who refer to themselves as deconstructionists adopted those words (signifier and signified), but rather it was the "contemporary school of literary criticism" (the 'movement' in line 12) that did—which is "still popularly referred to (presumably by OTHERS) as deconstruction."
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Remember, Angel, that we should not be looking for why any one answer is wrong, but only why one answer is better or worse than another. E is better than C here for the very reason you stated - the author never makes the claim in answer C. If it is implied, then that is all it is, and an implication is not a claim.

I think you're quibbling a bit about answer E, Angel. Here's an example: "The indigenous people of North America are those groups of people that lived there for thousands of years prior to the colonization of that land mass by settlers from Europe and elsewhere beginning in the late 15th century. These people are commonly referred to as "Native Americans". Now, did I just say "Native Americans lived in North America for thousands of years prior to the late 15th century"? If we are going to be very technical about it, then no, I did not use those exact words in that order. But that is the claim that I made, right? There is evidence in the text that I said something that means exactly that.

Same thing in this passage. The author tells us that the folks who used those terms are called deconstructionists, and that's how they used them. Good enough! More than good enough, actually - that's perfect! Don't get hung up on technical details - a good, faithful paraphrase of a claim is the same as the original claim, but an implication is not a claim at all.

Keep up the good work, and don't overthink these things.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.