LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 mN2mmvf
|
Hi,

I understand that (D) is playing a sly LSAT trick on the word "several" at the beginning of paragraph three...That word indicates three or more, and only two theories are discussed, thus we can infer that they are not the only proposals put forward. Ya got me!

But why is (C) incorrect? Both theories are discussed at length and it seems reasonable to infer that they have each been extensively investigated. Why isn't it?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
While it does seem reasonable to make that inference in answer C, mN2mmvf, our standard for selecting an answer in a question like this one (which is a form of Must Be True question) is higher than just "reasonable". We need to rely on the text to prove that the answer can be inferred! Since the passage tells us nothing about how much research has been done, and it also tells us nothing about whether any firm conclusions have been reached. Maybe at least one conclusion has been reached based on one of the theories? Maybe the second theory was proposed, and some folks looked into it a little, but there hasn't been much serious or extensive research just yet (perhaps because it is not a very popular theory in the scientific community due to its reliance on extraterrestrial intervention)? Without the text to point the way for this answer, we cannot rely on our sense of what seems reasonable. That way leads to the selection of reasonable, and therefore attractive, wrong answers!

Reason is a good thing, but RC on the LSAT isn't about reason so much as it is about evidence. Use the evidence to support your answer, rather than your sense of what is reasonable, and you will be on the right path!

Keep up the good work!
 lathlee
|
Hi. I do not understand why B is incorrect. I had a difficult time choosing between b and d but chose b cuz it seemed more specific and supportive from the text, both theories, 1. heat-transfer 2. asteroid - impact hypothesis. were created in order to polarity reversal and explain them in the text.

i know why d is correct too as well; i do not have issue for d being correct; but b seems more strong of between the two
 Shannon Parker
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
lathlee wrote:Hi. I do not understand why B is incorrect. I had a difficult time choosing between b and d but chose b cuz it seemed more specific and supportive from the text, both theories, 1. heat-transfer 2. asteroid - impact hypothesis. were created in order to polarity reversal and explain them in the text.

i know why d is correct too as well; i do not have issue for d being correct; but b seems more strong of between the two
Hi,

Answer choice "B" states that the two theories were developed in order to to explain the changes in the frequency of the phenomenon. There is not enough information in the passage to infer "why" the theories were created. However, the use of the word "several" indicates that there are more than two theories.The last sentence also references "theories that depend on extraterrestrial intervention" and "theories like the first," strongly inferring that there are a number of other theories that are not discussed in the passage.

hope this helps
shannon

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.