LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (A).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 Garrett K
|
Hello,

I am typically good at most of the reading comprehension questions, but the questions that ask about passage structure give me major trouble. On number 21, I easily narrowed the answers down to A or E. This might be obvious for most but why is the correct answer A and not E?

I choose E because of the word contrast at the end of the 1st paragraph and the failure to concretely identify the Pocock's stance within the 1st paragraph as well. Can you help me out on this question?

Also, do you have any advice for solving questions about passage organization and structure? When I read the passage should I be looking for specific words or literary devices that can better help me understand the passage as a whole?

Thanks,
GK
 Lucas Moreau
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello, GK,

I can see why you went back and forth between the two! The thesis which answer choice A describes is the "fruitful assumption" that is the center of discussion for the entire passage. The passage also doesn't suggest "categories of evaluation" but instead gives specific examples like "civic humanism" and its discussion of "virtue". Finally, the last two sentences are the "evaluation" which is spoken of at the end of answer choice A.

Hope that helps,
Lucas Moreau
 Lucas Moreau
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Ah, just noticed the second part of your question! :ras:

I would say specific word choice is the most important thing you should be looking for. Not just individual words, but also, as the course suggests, certain types of words, like list-type words (first, second, further, also, finally, lastly) and changing-of-perspective words (however, but, nevertheless, regardless).

You should also try to identify the main theme of each paragraph, not just the passage as a whole, and see how they relate to each other. That always helps me follow the overall structure of these passages! :-D

Hope that helps,
Lucas Moreau
 Garrett K
|
Yea it does. Thanks!
 andriana.caban
|
Hi!

How does the author exactly give an "evaluation". I keep reading the last few lines of the last paragraph but cannot see any identifiers that would let me know that the author is evaluating a claim.

Thanks!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Andriana,

The last sentence, especially line 60, gives the author's opinion of Pocock's accomplishment. The "historian" of line 60 is Pocock himself, and the author is defending Pocock against the criticisms presented in that paragraph.

Robert Carroll
 ally.ni
|
Hi,

Could I have an explanation for why it is not answer choice B? I thought that the qualification is when the author talks about "civic humanism" and how it can be applied in English political thought. Then, evidence that calls the qualification into question is how "civic humanism" cannot be applied to late-18th century America.

Thanks!
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ally!

"Civic humanism" isn't a qualification of Pocock's thesis--it's just a specific example of it. And the purpose of the last paragraph is not to call Pocock's views on "civic humanism" into question. The purpose of that last paragraph is to evaluate Pocock's views. Yes, that includes a critique. But the author also praises Pocock in that last paragraph--"applaud the historian who, though guilty of some exaggeration, has done the most to make us aware of their importance."

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 ally.ni
|
Thank you, this was helpful! Would it be a qualification if someone praised his investigation of civic humanism instead?

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.