LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=4778)

The correct answer choice is (D)

This is the first Local question of the game. If P speaks on friendship, we have sufficient information to determine the topic of choice for the remaining four students. This is because only two students can speak on friendship (first rule), and M is one of them (third rule). Thus, M and P speak on friendship, leaving N, O, and R to speak on liberty. At this point, our assignment of speech topics to students should look like this:
oct12_game_1_#2_diagram_1.png
Having determined the topic on which each student speaks, we can easily apply the vertical blocks from our initial set-up. P represents the main point of restriction. Since P is not a geology major (fifth rule), and no journalism major delivers a speech on friendship, we can conclude that P is a history major. Given that a geology major and a history major speak on friendship, the other student who speaks on friendship—M—must be a geology major.

These inferences are represented in the local diagram below:
oct12_game_1_#2_diagram_2.png
The only students whose majors are not fully determined are O and R. Because you are solving a Could Be True question, you should expect that the correct answer choice will exploit this uncertainty. This prephrase immediately reveals answer choice (D) to be correct.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 Etsevdos
|
I made an incorrect inference in this game to start. I ended up assuming (incorrectly) that M must have F / H combo. Therefore, I answers A on this question. While incorrect, I am wondering whether a CBT Q would ever give a MBT answer? Should something like that have made me reconsider the inference on future questions?
 Eric Ockert
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Etsevdos!

It is fairly unusual to see an answer that must be true on a Could Be True question, but it can and does happen. I wouldn't count it out in the future on those grounds alone, but it may be wise to pause for a moment and reevaluate due to the infrequency of the pattern. This also reinforces the importance of checking all of your answers. That way, if you see another answer that also could be true, then you know you've made a mistake somewhere and can hopefully go back and diagnose the problem.

Hope that helps!
 Etsevdos
|
Eric Ockert wrote:Hi Etsevdos!

It is fairly unusual to see an answer that must be true on a Could Be True question, but it can and does happen. I wouldn't count it out in the future on those grounds alone, but it may be wise to pause for a moment and reevaluate due to the infrequency of the pattern. This also reinforces the importance of checking all of your answers. That way, if you see another answer that also could be true, then you know you've made a mistake somewhere and can hopefully go back and diagnose the problem.

Hope that helps!
Thanks. Very helpful

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.