LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=4778)

The correct answer choice is (A)

This Local question requires us to identify what must be false, i.e. what cannot be true, if N speaks on friendship. Since M also speaks on friendship, we can now determine the topics on which each of the five students speaks:
oct12_game_1_#4_diagram_1.png
Now, let’s focus on their majors. Since a geology major and a history major must speak on friendship (second rule), and N is a geology major (sixth rule), we can conclude that M is the history major who speaks on friendship:
oct12_game_1_#4_diagram_2.png
Even though we cannot determine the majors of O, P, and R, our local diagram immediately shows that answer choice (A) cannot be true, and is therefore the correct answer. By contrast, answer choice (B) is the Opposite answer, whereas answer choices (C), (D), and (E) could be true.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 RandyB
|
Sry about this.....I must have been short circuiting last night after too much studying (and then taking and correcting a practice exam).

I now see that the answer as presented is correct. I was tripping over the 'must be false' aspect of the question.

In the words of Emily Litella........"Nevermind"

:-?
I am confused. The Explanation for the correct answer to Test 1, Section IV (Logic Games), question 4 states that choice A is the correct answer because it states "Manolo is a history major."

I came to the same conclusion, that the correct answer choice has to state that Manolo is a history major. However, in my test book (received Sat Dec 1 2018), it is choice B that states "Manolo is a history major."

I selected B and was marked wrong by the test scorer (after inputting my answers into the Powerscore Portal).

Am I completely misunderstanding something (could be the case) or am I just the first person to come across this mistake in your test booklet?

On the copyright page of my copy of the 'Tests' book, it is indicated as version M14 with a production date of 07 23 20 18

Please advise

Thanks
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Randy,

This is a must be false question, and I think that might be what is tripping you up. We are looking for the one answer choice that can't be true, which is choice A, that "Manolo is a geology major."

The rules tell us that Nadia is a geology major and the question tells us that she speaks on friendship. That means that the other geology major must speak on liberty. But the rules tell us that Manolo speaks on friendship. Therefore Manolo can't be a geology major.

I think the main takeaway is just to read as carefully as possible. I hope this explanation helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.