LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 allisonellen7
|
This passage was really challenging for me and I do not understand how the passage provides support for E: "They are subject to more minor events than major events." I see where the passage says "such systems produce more minor events than catastrophes" but isn't that different than being subject to more minor events? I also see how the passage could provide support for C because it says "to such a local observer, however, large avalanches would remain unpredictable." Are we to know that some observers are not as local?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

As you noticed, this is a Must Except question, so the four incorrect answer choices are the ones that are supported by the passage.

Answer choice (E) is supported by lines 31-32: "...such sytems produce more minor events than catastrophes..."

Answer choice (C) can be ruled out based on the strong language: they make it impossible for observers to make any predictions about them." These words make this a very bold claim--do such systems really make it impossible to make any predictions? No.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

-Steve
 allisonellen7
|
Thank you, that is very helpful! I guess I am still just confused over why producing more minor events is the same thing as being subject to more minor events? To me, being subject to something would be like something acting on the system and producing something would be the result of the system. Thanks for all your help!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Allison,

Thanks for your response. In the third paragraph the author discusses large systems that "evolve naturally to a critical state in which a minor event starts a chain reaction." Presumably that evolution would involve a number of minor events building toward that critical state, building up to the opportunity for the last straw to break the camels' back, as it were. The author expands further on this idea in the next paragraph, in which a pile of sand exemplifies many minor events (each grain of sand) building toward a critical state, eventually causing a small avalanche. With that said, this question probably would have been most easily answered by ruling out the wrong answer choices.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know--thanks

~Steve
 allisonellen7
|
Great, yes that helps a ton! Especially about the minor events of the grains of sand adding up. Thanks again for your help!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.