LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 kar
|
I have a question about the last passage.

For number 24, I looked at lines 29-34, and I got the impression that the circumpolar vortex moves southward because of the difference in the "unusually cool middle and high latitudes" and the "warm tropical latitudes".

Could you explain why the answer is D and not E?
 jeff.wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kar,

For q. 24, you were looking in the right place in the passage because lines 29-34 are the relevant ones. The key wording is that the "temperature differential between the unusually cool middle and high latitudes and the warm tropical latitudes is causing" the expansion of the circumpolar vortex. Your explanation of the cause is correct.

Answer (d) correctly describes this difference as the difference between the temperature of the tropics (which are warm) and the more northern latitudes (which are the cool middle and high latitudes) mentioned in the passage.

Answer (e) incorrectly describes the wrong pair of latitudes. It states that the vortex is caused by the difference between middle and high latitudes. The middle and high latitudes are both cool temperatures and essentially the same for the purposes of the comparison. Basically, it's the temp. difference between the middle/high latitudes on the one hand and the tropical latitudes on the other.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Jeff

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.