LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

angie23
|
I have questions pertaining to some of the questions from this passage:

9): I did not get the main point of the passage unfortunately. It was really hard to come up with one for this passage. Can someone explain to me how to arrive at the main point for this particular passage? I know that:

paragraph 1: nontraditional black female filmmakers and realist filmmakers clashes with each other in terms of certain conventions
paragraph 2: But some nontraditional black female filmmakers do utilize realism. Also, the author introduces what she thinks about the prevailing notion of experimentation
paragraph 3: examples of documentaries and what they do

Thank you!
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello angie23,

Your breakdown of the passage structure is spot-on. Notice, however, that the first paragraph is purely descriptive: it outlines the difference between nontraditional and realist filmmakers but there is no argument there. All we know is that the nontraditional black women filmmakers resist the conventions of cinematic realism. Jump to the second paragraph and... bam! You have an argument: "it is important to emphasize, however, that the prevailing notion that such filmmakers cannot be called experimental... places an undue emphasis on form..." (lines 38-42). Basically, the author is arguing that you don't have to use weird cinematic techniques to be considered experimental: a realist work that focuses on a nontraditional subject can also be called experimental (lines 40-45). The rest of the passage supports this view, which is also the main point of the passage. Answer choice (B) comes the closest to this idea, and is therefore correct.

Let me know if this clears things up!
 Khodi7531
|
I was between B and E, but chose E although I know it was missing a lot of things. Idk why my gut went with E because I couldn't look over the part of B that spoke about the experimental films. I remember the exact areas it was brought up and what she referred to, but I in no way though that that it would even be brought up in a MP analysis. It definitively says "..to make experimental films" but said that they CAN. Especially because of how it was perceived to be interpreted.

I know I should have still chosen B, given how E just doesn't hit many of the spots. But I think I get caught up in it being 100% true, more than anything and that's why I keep getting the easiest questions on RC - main idea - wrong.
 Alex Bodaken
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Khodi7531,

Thanks for the question! First of all, don't get discouraged...main point questions can actually be quite tricky in some instances, as they ask you to be able to effectively summarize the entire passage. Many other questions, for example those that refer to specific lines in the passage, are ones that some students find easier. Ultimately, all you can do is your best to improve and learn from the ones you get wrong so that on test day, you have confidence in yourself to do awesome!

Now as to the specific question...you are right, you are looking for the answer that "best states" the main idea of the passage...that doesn't mean it has to state it perfectly! And answer choice (E) misses a lot, starting with the fact that the passage is more concerned with nontraditional black filmmakers than mainstream filmmakers. In the end, answer choice (B) hits enough of the main points to be the correct answer.

Hope this helps!
Alex

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.