LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (A).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 reop6780
|
The correct answer is A.

While Drescher's argument in regards with answer A is well described, I could not tell if Eltis agrees with answer A.

Where do I find evidence for this?
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi reop6780!

According to the passage, Eltis admits that at first some British nobles wanted to enslave any unemployed workers (lines 35-39) but he says that viewpoint started to shift toward abolition (lines 40-44) and he goes on to talk about how slavery was eventually considered "inappropriate and counterproductive to employers" (lines 52-53) and that "British leaders became committed to colonial labor reform (line 59).

Therefore, Eltis would agree with answer choice (A) that people of all classes supported the abolition of slavery.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 Blueballoon5%
|
For this question, I do not understand how Eltis could agree that (a) people of all classes in Britain supported the abolition of slavery.

I do not see that supported in the passage. Instead, in lines 62, Eltis seems to support the idea that British leaders were the ones who supported the abolition for economic reasons.
 Clay Cooper
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi BlueBalloon,

Thanks again for another good question.

I think one sentence specifically suggests that Eltis would agree that people of all classes supported abolition: the first sentence of he third paragraph.

The "question" referred to here, which the author says Eltis has offered an answer for, is "how England, a nation deeply divided by class struggles, could mobilize popular support for anti-slavery measures proposed by otherwise conservative politicians in the House of Lords and approved there with little dissent." This question mentions that popular support for ending slavery existed, and that little dissent occurred in the House of Lords. So, since Eltis agrees with these premises enough to try to answer this question, he probably agrees that people of all classes in Britain supported abolition.
 PamelaO
|
Hello,

I understand why A is the correct answer now, because even though people may have supported abolition for different reasons, they did want it in some way or another (esp. according to Eltis).

I would just like to know why D is incorrect, is this because it was mainly mentioned only by Eltis and not by Drescher?

Thanks!
 AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Pamela,

Yes, you're absolutely on the right track. :) Line 31 states that Eltis eschewed Drescher's "idealization of British traditions of liberty," which then sets up a discussion of how Eltis believed economic pressures, and not liberal ideals, drove the abolition of slavery in England. This gives us good support for the proposition that Eltis, and not Drescher, rejected the idealized view of historical England.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Good luck studying!

Athena
 sodomojo
|
KelseyWoods wrote:According to the passage, Eltis admits that at first some British nobles wanted to enslave any unemployed workers (lines 35-39) but he says that viewpoint started to shift toward abolition (lines 40-44) and he goes on to talk about how slavery was eventually considered "inappropriate and counterproductive to employers" (lines 52-53) and that "British leaders became committed to colonial labor reform (line 59).

Therefore, Eltis would agree with answer choice (A) that people of all classes supported the abolition of slavery.
I can't help but feel that based on those lines, answer choice (A) is still too extreme (people of all classes...).

Is there anything else that would suggest Eltis agrees with (A)?
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi sodo,

I agree with Kelsey's insights but let me also direct you to lines 29-30 about David Eltis’ "answer to that question" which actually supports some of Williams’ insights. Did you notice how important that line is? But what was the question that Eltis answered? It comes from the authors discussion of Drescher actually and its in the lines directly above lines 29 about how all of England regardless of class "could mobilize popular support for antislavery measures." The posing of the "question" then implies that Eltis and Drescher must each accept such support was popular despite "class struggles." That;s also why Answer Choice (A) is the best choice here.

Thanks for the great question and I hope this helps! :-D
 ashpine17
|
does eltis agree that the motives behind abolishing slavery in britain was due to economic conditions? (B)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.