LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 funky_fancy_name
|
I was stuck between D and E. I ended up with D because I couldn't find specific supports for E. I think the main problem is that I don't really understand Eltis' argument especially the last three sentences.

I think what he was saying is that because of the "nonsubsistence or psychological needs", forced labor, aka slavery becomes counterproductive to employers. While forced labored, aka slavery had been previously beneficial to the imperial economy, it was no longer advantageous to the 'new' economy (employers). And that was a forced behind the abolishment.

I thought I was still in imperial economy the whole time, so the last sentence really confused me.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

A - This is something Drescher would say, NOT Williams
B- Same as A
C - No evidence in the paragraph for 'not produce enough goods'
D - "...forced labor began to appear both inappropriate and counter productive to employers... "
E - No support in the passage
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi funky_fancy_name,

I think you've done a good job of identifying the reasons why answers A, B, C, and E are incorrect. But I think you're focusing too much on Eltis's argument in answering this question. After all, according to the author, Eltis differs from Williams (even though Eltis's account is better than Drescher's, and partially confirms Williams's viewpoint). For example, the author says, "Eltis thus concludes that, while Williams may well have underestimated the economic viability of the British colonies employing forced labor in the early 1800s, his insight into the economic motives for
abolition was partly accurate." And later, "for reasons other than those cited by Williams, ... free labor was more beneficial to the imperial economy."

Since this question asks specifically about Williams's view, we're better off returning to the first paragraph for support for answer choice D, especially the last sentence of that paragraph: "Blighted by depleted soil, indebtedness, and the inefficiency of coerced labor, these colonies, to Williams, had by 1807 become an impediment to British economic progress." That sentence really highlights Williams's view that the operation of colonies (with their depleted soil, debt, and inefficiency) were simply not helping British economic progress (i.e. were "no longer economically advantageous").

I hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.