LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (E).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice.

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 joliekwok8@gmail.com
|
Hi,

I'm a little confused as to why the answer is E. From what I understand in paragraph 3, there is a positive correlation with incoming energy from the sun and "rates of growth and reproduction, rates of growth and reproduction with the amount of living matter (biomass) at a given moment; and the amount of biomass with number of species". So that means with more sun, those three things in quotes will increase with the sun's energy

I'm not sure where answer E got the idea that an arctic tundra would have slow plant/animal growth? I'm assuming it is trying to say that since the arctic does not receive much sun, the correlation of the whole rates of growth/reproduction/biomass etc will follow through and decrease.

I'm just not sure where it is indicated that we can apply the species-energy hypothesis to the arctic?

Thank you!
 joliekwok8@gmail.com
|
joliekwok8@gmail.com wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:42 pm Hi,

I'm a little confused as to why the answer is E. From what I understand in paragraph 3, there is a positive correlation with incoming energy from the sun and "rates of growth and reproduction, rates of growth and reproduction with the amount of living matter (biomass) at a given moment; and the amount of biomass with number of species". So that means with more sun, those three things in quotes will increase with the sun's energy

I'm not sure where answer E got the idea that an arctic tundra would have slow plant/animal growth? I'm assuming it is trying to say that since the arctic does not receive much sun, the correlation of the whole rates of growth/reproduction/biomass etc will follow through and decrease.

I'm just not sure where it is indicated that we can apply the species-energy hypothesis to the arctic?

Thank you!
Hi! Wondering if anybody can provide an explanation for this
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi joliekowk8!

Please feel free to follow up if this doesn't address your question, but I believe the most pertinent material for your question is in the first paragraph: "it becomes apparent that the overall number of species increases from pole to equator" (lines 3-4). So we know from this that there are fewer species in the arctic than there are at the equator.

The question asks us for what is "consistent" with the species-energy hypothesis. (E) states, "In an arctic tundra, the plants and animals exhibit a slow rate of growth and reproduction." This doesn't raise any tensions with the correlation that you described. Rather, it reflects slow rate of growth and reproduction where there are fewer species. This makes sense with correlation made in the species-energy hypothesis.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.