LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must Be True, Organization. The correct answer choice is A.

In this passage organization question, the correct answer choice must accurately describe the parts of the passage it refers to, and in the proper order. Though the answer choice does not have to be completely comprehensive of every idea discussed in the passage, it should be as holistic as possible. If you've been tracking the "Structure" element of the VIEWSTAMP passage elements PowerScore recommends in the Reading Comprehension Bible and LSAT Courses, such a question should be relatively simple to answer based on either your passage notes or your structure notations.

We can get a broad prephrase by creating brief descriptions of the argumentative purpose of each paragraph. In Paragraph 1, the author begins with a description of a mechanism (a status symbol that obviates the need to fight) that enables survival in birds' social hierarchies, the "status signaling hypothesis" (SSH). In Paragraph 2, the author cites one zoologist's assertion that SSH is supported by a particular bird community (Harris sparrows). We have in Paragraph 3 the author's use of Harris sparrow data to critique the zoologist's assertions. We have in Paragraphs 4-5 the author's argument that the best evidence for SSH comes from the greater titmouse.

Answer Choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. This answer choice accurately describes each piece of the passage (and broadly matches our descriptions above). A hypothesis, the status signaling hypothesis, is introduced in Paragraph 1. Rohwer's study of status signaling in Harris sparrows is discussed in Paragraph 2 and evaluated (critiqued) in Paragraph 3. The studies and evidence from the greater titmouse are discussed in Paragraphs 4 and 5 and evaluated (as being the best) in Paragraph 4. Thus, this answer choice creates an accurate and comprehensive description of the passage.

Answer Choice (B): While it is true that the phenomenon of status signaling is presented in the first paragraph, there are not "several explanations" for that phenomenon that are discussed in the passage. Instead one explanation (survival) is mentioned n paragraph 1, and possible evidence of the phenomenon and the explanation for it are reviewed in paragraphs 2 through 5. Thus, answer choice B is inaccurate.

Answer Choice (C): While it's possible to construe the first paragraph of the passage as describing behavior (birds paying attention to status signals to determine social hierarchy), it's inaccurate to describe the passage as presenting "underlying causes" for that behavior. One underlying cause is presented: the signals provided by appearance. Furthermore, even if we divide those appearance signals into multiple causes (plumage, width, etc.) there are no assertions of "likelihood" of varying causes. How likely is it, for instance, that plumage (or width of a stripe) is what leads to this behavior? The passage doesn't say. Rather, the author makes more general assertions about whether certain studies of bird communities are (or are not) good evidence for the SSH.

Answer Choice (D): There is no "history" of the issue of status signaling presented in the passage. Rather, the author reviews two studies, without commenting on the broader history of the SSH.

Answer Choice (E): There are no "opinions against the validity" of the SSH presented in the passage. Rather, everyone in the passage accepts social signaling, but different people (the zoologist versus the author) think different evidence supports the hypothesis. Thus this answer choice inaccurately describes the passage.
 avengingangel
|
My prephrase was, more or less: a phenomenon was discussed, a hypothesis related to the phenomenon was presented, a study/researcher trying to prove the hypothesis was presented but criticized in detail, a superior study was presented.

Which is why I chose B. Can you please explain in detail why A is superior to B? I feel like they both have components that are superior and inferior to each other, making it very difficult to know which is the "Right" one. Thanks !!!
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
avengingangel wrote:My prephrase was, more or less: a phenomenon was discussed, a hypothesis related to the phenomenon was presented, a study/researcher trying to prove the hypothesis was presented but criticized in detail, a superior study was presented.

Which is why I chose B. Can you please explain in detail why A is superior to B? I feel like they both have components that are superior and inferior to each other, making it very difficult to know which is the "Right" one. Thanks !!!

Hello,

Your prephrase is somewhat closer to answer A. Answer B gets it wrong by saying most of the passage is "explanation", but it is not; most of the passage is merely studies relating to SSH, rather than "explaining" SSH. (Moreover, answer B talks about "phenomenon", but the first part of the passage is more hypothesis than phenomenon.)

David
 fsatcw7
|
I understand why A is correct, but I don't understand why C is wrong. I interpreted it as the behavior being some birds deferring to other birds with higher status, and the causes being the color of the plumage and the width of the black breast-plumage stripe. Would that thinking be incorrect? Could someone please explain why C is a worse answer than A?

Thank you!
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi f,

We've posted a new Complete Question Explanation above, so please take a look and let us know if that resolves your question--thanks!

Jeremy
 fsatcw7
|
Thank you for explaining! That makes a lot of sense!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.