LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Question Classification. The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 avengingangel
|
I didn't choose B because it's saying that the journalists' intention was to protect the reputation of "the press." That did not match up with my prephrase, which was something along the lines of professionals banding together to protect/defend their own against attacks. That answer would make sense if it said to protect the reputation of their Newspaper, or something. Can someone please explain in more detail how this example is analogous to the professional solidarity mentioned in the passage ?? Thanks!
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
avengingangel wrote:I didn't choose B because it's saying that the journalists' intention was to protect the reputation of "the press." That did not match up with my prephrase, which was something along the lines of professionals banding together to protect/defend their own against attacks. That answer would make sense if it said to protect the reputation of their Newspaper, or something. Can someone please explain in more detail how this example is analogous to the professional solidarity mentioned in the passage ?? Thanks!

Hello,

"The press" is a very well-known sort of metaphor for "newspapers" or "the journalistic profession".

David
 lathlee
|
For this question, I thought A) or B, but i went with A) was the final answer. since the line 55-63, didn't show any text of fellow professional standing up for a professional committing wrongdoing and A) seems to parallel the concept of workers in trouble through morally neutral manner whereas b) involves concealing distortion, which sounds like wrongdoing.
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lathlee,

You say that you eliminated answer choice (B) because it brought up concealing or distorting the wrongdoing. This was exactly what the author is suggesting that the canon lawyers did!

The passage began with the question of why there are so few records of discliplinary action for the canon lawyers. The hypothesis presented in the half of the passage is that they "escaped detection" (line 28) by forming professional associations to defend against attacks.
 sofisofi
|
Hi I got B for this answer, but Im having trouble figuring out why A isn't a good answer. Any explanation would help!
thanks!
 Paul Popa
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sofi,

Great question! The line reference in question mentions a "professional solidarity" of lawyers, but importantly, at the expense of the enforcement of ethical standards. (B) is correct because it describes a journalist making a choice at the expense of ethical standards in order to protect the public reputation of journalists.

(A) describes a different situation altogether. Members of a teacher's union going on strike for a perceived legitimate grievance is very different from the situation described in the first sentence of the last paragraph. Yes, there is definitely professional solidarity here, but not at the expense of any ethical standards. Hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.