LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Question Line Reference
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=11388)

The correct answer choice is (D)

The justification for the correct answer can be found on:

(lines 40-44)

The answer to this question should certainly be prephrased, since the process is specifically described in the fourth paragraph: Davis created the basis, collected the improvisational takes of the base script by several artists, and edited together a finished product, much like the pictorial collage described in the correct answer choice.
 egarcia193
|
I don't understand how D is the correct answer the passage talks about how he had musicians improvise from a base set and then create a final piece. I don't see how D is similar to that at all as it saying that each piece is assigned then put together into the final piece but does not talk about improvision at all. I chose A because it mentioned a base set and improvision which is stated Miles did in lines 43-44, I don't see how D is better than A or correct at all?
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The artist described in answer choice (D) instructs several photographers to take pictures in line with a certain theme. This artist does not directly instruct the photographers what to shoot, which film to use, what lens to use, how much to expose the photograph, etc... In this way, the artist allows the photographers to put their own creative skills to use before assembling each individual part together.

The "base script" in line 39 is paralleled in "a certain theme." Both are loose instructions or guideposts that minimally steer the overall artistic project.
 jmramon
|
I also chose answer "A" for the same reasons egarcia193 did. Can you please explain why "A" is wrong? I get why answer "D" works, however, after closer analysis.

I understand the passage states Davis' typical studio procedure in the late 1960s "was to have musicians improvise from a base script of material and then build finished pieces out of tape, like a movie director" (lines 40-4). I thought "A" succeeds in mirroring the process by having "a general topic for a comedy sketch" (the base script) and allowing "comedians to write their own script" (improvising) and then this is all put together in a comedy show (like Davis' assembling of the improvised pieces).

Is "A" not correct because it doesn't qualify as spontaneous improvising or because it doesn't specify that the pieces are put together after the fact by an organizer? The spontaneous improvising part, from my interpretation, isn't actually stated in the passage as spontaneous per se and actually states that its lack of spontaneity peeved purist jazz critics, so I'm assuming this isn't the issue with "A". Is the issue the assembling part by a central organizer being left out? I'm pretty perplexed as to why "A" is wrong and would greatly appreciate some guidance. Thank you!

-JR
 AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi JR,

The reason answer choice (A) is wrong is that it omits the role of the central organizer. In the passage, Miles Davis gave general instructions to individual musicians, who submitted individual recordings. Davis then cut and spliced their individual works into a whole. In answer choice (A), the artists are given free rein to write the entire script, and there's no further step of cutting and splicing their contributions into a final product.

Hope this makes sense -- good luck studying!

Athena Dalton
 diwil
|
Hello,

I understand why D works, but I also think that B could work. An actor digresses (deviates) from a script to improvise (create) a monologue (a final piece)? Why wouldn't B work? I guess my reasoning was that I interpreted "digress" as a small departure from the script, just enough to inspire the improvisation. Am I making a mistake by reading too much or pushing too much an interpretation of the work digress? Or what else is the problem with option B?

Thank you very much!

Diana.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The problem with that answer, Diana, is that at no point does some other person step in and edit the actor's material to turn it into their own creation, the way Miles Davis cuts and pastes the recordings of his musicians. That answer sounds a lot more like what the jazz critics think jazz should be - live improvisation, where the recording just captures what they were doing and thinking at the time, without any interference. We need to see someone parallel to Davis, taking that material and altering it in some way.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.