LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (A).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 T.B.Justin
|
I think answer choice (C) in combination with the recent experimental work, will force the opponents of the abiogenic theory to re-consider their position and contemplate the likelihood of this answer choice.

When I read "condensation" my first thought was the idea of condensation of water vapor in the atmosphere.

I think condensing in terms of a solid or a non-solid.

I think I described a way that (C) with the third paragraph in mind would weaken the opponents position on the abiogenic theory.
 Jay Donnell
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi T.B.!

I think a lot of the issue here stems from knowing exactly what the question is asking.

We are tasked to find an answer that the opponents of the abiogenic theory would agree with, and it seems that you are attempting to justify your response of C as something that would weaken their point of view.

Since the opponents of the abiogenic theory are then set in being proponents of the biogenic theory, they have a core disagreement as to how oil is formed, in regards to the necessity of organic matter in the creation of oil.

Since the viewpoint in question here believes that oil comes from organic matter, they would agree that "the formation of oil does not involve the condensation of hydrocarbons released from the earth's mantle," as that is consistent with the abiogenic theory which they oppose. This sentence from line 15 first introduces the concept of 'condensation' as it introduces the foundations of the abiogenic theory: "As the gases encountered intermittent drops in pressure, the heavier hydrocarbons condensed, forming oil, and were deposited in reservoirs throughout the crust."

The invoking of the diamond forming process in C would actually be far more in line with the abiogenic theory about the origin of oil, so this would be a better answer if we were asked to find an idea that the holders of this viewpoint would disagree with, or if taken as a true statement, could be used to weaken their position.

Hope that helps to clear it up!
 T.B.Justin
|
Hey Jay,

Yes, that's exactly what I was doing, in terms, of justifying what that incorrect answer choice (C) could be, and as I think we both agree it would weaken their position, if taken as a true statement, which in this case I don't think it is, as I believe we are to treat prove family question type answer choice's as suspect. I don't think we are evaluating the impact of the answer choices on the argument, more or less, I think we are tasked with identifying the high likelihood of an answer choice through evidence that can be found in the stimulus, abstract or detailed.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.