LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 ellenb
|
Dear Powerscore,

I had a quick question, why C is wrong in this question, is it because it is true, but it is not the main idea, just like in must be true questions where something is true, however, it is not encompassing the main idea, where answer choice B does. Is my thought process right?

Thanks

Ellen
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Exactly right, Ellen! Answer choice C is an example of a classic "True but Wrong" answer, in that it does give true information supported by the passage, but it doesn't encompass the main point that the author made in the passage because it is incomplete. It doesn't take into account the broader scope of the passage, dealing with the importance of Temperley's anthology. Answer C is just too narrowly focused.

Main Point on a Reading Comp question is, in my view, the answer someone might give if, just after reading the passage, someone came up to you and asked "so what was that passage about?" The answer needs to be fairly sweeping, complete, encompassing everything important about the passage in one concise statement.

Good analysis! Keep up the good work.
 ellenb
|
Thanks a lot Adam!
 lsatnoobie
|
Dear Powerscore,

Thanks for your help in advance! I'm still really confuses as to why A is not the answer. It seems to me that the bulk of the passage focuses on reasons why London Pianoforte School should not be considered a school at all, or if it is, then only a school defined within a specific time period. The introduction of Temperley's new anthology, while very important in overcoming the lack of music and other knowledge available at LPS, seems to just a solution presented as such, not the main point. What am I missing here? Answer choice A didn't particularly strike me as a strong answer, but my prephrase was "Author believes LPS should not be a school, or atleast only a school between 1766-1873 due to the fact that they're missing lots of music and only gathered together due to geographical and practical reasons."

Please help!
 AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for your question!

You're right that a lot of the passage spends time discussing whether this group of musicians should be considered a "school." However, much of this discussion comes from the author's perspective, not Temperley's.

We only learn two things about Temperley's views on the subject. We learn in lines 38-39 that Temperley believes the notion of a "school" may be questionable in light of the diversity of the group. But we then learn at the very end of the article that Temperley defines the school by a specific time period -- so in spite of his misgivings about using the "school" designation, Temperley still uses it. Given the limited discussion of Temperley's views on the subject, it's not fair to characterize the main point of the article as a discussion of Temperley's criticism of the London Pianoforte school. :)

I hope that helps clarify things. Good luck studying!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.