LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 MountainGirl234
|
Hi there,

I narrowed the answers down to B and D, ultimately choosing the wrong answer D.

The reason I chose D because I inferred that this part of the passage "its reinforced frame, extended compass, triple stringing, and pedals..."not only emphasizes the advancement of the piano's structural changes, but I took it a step further, convincing myself that the "triple strings" and "pedals" would give the player more room to elaborate stylistically while playing. Am I taking it a step too far?

Answer B seemed too obvious for an inference question, in my opinion.
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi MountainGirl!

There's not really such a thing as "too obvious for an inference question" on the LSAT. On the LSAT, "inference" = "must be true." An inference question is just asking you for something that must be true--something that you can prove with the statements in the passage. If it must be true, it must be true, no matter how "obvious" it may seem.

Stick to what's in the passage. As you said, the "advances" refer to the "reinforced frame, extended compass, triple stringing, and pedals." All of these refer to improvements in the structure of the instrument. Answer choice (B) describes this accurately and so is the correct answer. These advances may give a player more possibilities for stylistic elaborations, but the word "advances" is specifically referring to the improvements in the structure of the instrument and not to the stylistic elaborations these improvements may allow.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 PresidentLSAT
|
Hello,

This choice almost got me; I ruled out D because stylistic elaborations only limit it to style; though the examples that followed were about style too.
 legalkitty
|
hii i don't understand why it's B would like an explanation. I originally picked C ):
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
legalkitty,

The reference is to "advances" in the Broadwood piano, and then the passage lists those advances between the dashes. All those advances are technological advances of the instrument itself. It's not about the music but about the physical instrument.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.