LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 yrivers
|
Could you please provide an explanation why B is correct? And why the others are incorrect? In particular, it's hard for me to differentiate among the answers, as they sound quite similar given the time constraints. I chose A but is it incorrect b/c the passage doesn't claim the styles are similar but rather different and varied? Thanks!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Yaesul,

Answer choice (B) is proven directly from the last sentence in the passage. The passage is concerned with conflicting definitions of the "school", but all we're concerned with in this question is how Temperley defined it.

Robert Carroll
 lanereuden
|
So what is wrong with D? Is it that this is just a generic definition offered by the passage, but not by Temperley.
 Zach Foreman
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Lane,
So, we first prephrase from the general definition contained in the first paragraph: " the group of composers, pedagogues, pianists, publishers, and builders who contributed to the development of the piano in London at the turn of the nineteenth century" or "people who helped develop the piano in London around 1800.

One way I like to prephrase these is to just look at the first few words:

(A) a group of pianist-composers
(B) a group of people
(C) a group of composers
(D) a series of compositions
(E) a series of compositions

We can quickly eliminate D and E because the school is composed of people not compositions. We can eliminate A and C because non-composers are also included ("pedagogues... publishers and builders"). We can get the right answer in a flash by concentrating on the subject of the sentence: "group of people" is the only possible choice.
 LSATQueen2024
|
HI

I was stuck between B and D, I chose D, but I would like to know why this answer choice is wrong and why B is correct.

Thank You,
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
LSATQueen2024,

Answer choice (D) is explained in the post immediately above yours. The school is a collection of people, not compositions. The last sentence of the passage gives Temperly's definition of the school, which fits answer choice (B).

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.