LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
RC Question Template:

Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (A).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 LeslyLSATinLA
|
I chose B instead of A. Can someone please clarify why A is stronger than B in this case? Answer choice B says that corporations are not human and so that's what compelled me to choose this answer. Is the second half of the statement incorrect?
 g.r.allmendinger@gmail.com
|
I also thought B was the better option. My reasoning was that the discussion of CEOs was to exemplify how corporations' obligation to morality is an extension of the morality of the individuals that make up a company (like CEOs).
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LeslyLSATinLA and g.r.allmendinger!

For this type of question, it's possible that an answer choice could be accurate--indeed, it might be an answer choice that must be true based on the passage--but that doesn't necessarily make it correct. Rather, an answer choice would need to be true and describe the main point of the passage.

Answer choice (B) seems too narrow. It seems to describe material primarily contained within the second paragraph rather than encompassing the passage as a whole. By contrast, the first clause in answer choice (A) covers material covered in the first through third paragraphs, and the second clause of that answer covers the final paragraph.

So be wary of answer choices that only describe part of the passage. These will be unlikely to be correct on main point questions.
 ashpine17
|
what is wrong with C? i thought because it mentioned economists which i thought was the Main pont of the passage which was to refute the economists view it was a good choice?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The author is not ultimately trying to prove that CEOs are obligated to maximize profits. That's a position held by the economists, not the author of the passage. That answer also ignores the entire final paragraph of the passage, in which the author refutes the position taken by economists, and a good Main Point answer cannot ignore the author's position or overlook a major talking point in the passage.

The author's point is that CEOs are not released from their moral obligations as members of society just because they have a competing obligation to maximize profits. The author believes that the economists position is flawed because it improperly excuses CEOs from those moral obligations. That's why answer A is the best answer choice.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.