to the top

#3 - Genevieve: Increasing costs have led commercial

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Complete Question Explanation

Parallel Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (D)

In this dialogue, Genevieve makes the claim that flying has become less safe, and Harold questions this assertion, based on the fact that Genevieve herself flies with increasing frequency. Harold’s argument is quite weak; the fact that Genevieve may need to fly does not call into question her claims that flying is becoming less safe.

The question stem asks for the answer choice which relies on a similarly flawed line of reasoning; the right answer will likely reflect skepticism based on the behavior of the source. Only correct answer choice (D) manifests a similar line of reasoning: skepticism of Pat’s claims, based on the mere fact that she does not follow her own advice. This is quite similar to the flawed logic in the stimulus, wherein the behavior of the source is used as the basis of skepticism of that person’s claims.

All of the other answer choices reflect reasonable arguments, so they cannot parallel the flawed reasoning from the stimulus dialogue.
Johnclem
LSAT Master

Hi,
I am having trouble seeing why A wrong. -specifically how is it any different from D?

1- David says the film isn't good
2- but he has not seen it .
I don't accept his opinion

I'm thinking Just because he has not seen it , doesn't mean his opinion is wrong. Maybe he heard from his best friend or read reviews on it.

d)
1) she showed me that eating vegetables is beneficial. And that one should eat them.
2) she hardly ever eats
I don't believe pat.

Thanks
John
Clay Cooper
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi johnclem,

Thanks for your question.

This is a parallel flaw question, so we need to find the answer choice which exhibits the same flaw that we see in the argument in the stimulus. What is that flaw?

It is that Harold rejects a conclusion (that he admits is supported by sound reasoning) based on the conduct of the person advancing it.

A does not exhibit this flaw. It is rejecting an opinion for NOT being supported by sound reasoning, but for being the product of hearsay.

D does exhibit this flaw - I don't believe what she says about vegetables being healthy because she doesn't eat them - and is therefore correct.

Did you try to identify the question type here? That is where you should start on every LR question.
bk1111
LSAT Master

Hi, can someone explain why C is incorrect? I thought it followed a similar line of reasoning as the stimulus:

Susan claims activity is safe, but her action and her breaking her collarbone contradict her claim.
Shannon Parker
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

bk1111 wrote:Hi, can someone explain why C is incorrect? I thought it followed a similar line of reasoning as the stimulus:

Susan claims activity is safe, but her action and her breaking her collarbone contradict her claim.

In the stimulus Genevieve makes a claim that she supports with evidence. Harold rejects the claim because Genevieve does not act in accordance with it. There are two ways in which answer choice C does not parallel the stimulus. First it does not offer any evidence for Susan's claim that rock climbing is safe. Second, the person rejecting the claim does not reject it because Susan does not go rock climbing, rather he rejects it based on the evidence of her falling and breaking her collarbone.

Hope this clears it up.

Shannon
deck1134
LSAT Master

Hi PowerScore,

Why is B wrong on this question?

My prephrase was: "It's wrong because she doesn't do it herself."

I narrowed it down to B and D, and thought that they looked identical.
Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Two elements in B that don't match the stimulus, Deck. First, "a long time ago," while the stimulus is about recent behavior. It was the recent behavior in the stimulus that mattered, because it is about recent changes to the airline industry. Second, the author in answer B doesn't conclude that Maria's conclusion is wrong because, first, she doesn't have a conclusion, and second, the author simply said he will comply with her new dietary restrictions and not that Maria isn't genuine in her dietary beliefs.
Adam M. Tyson
PowerScore LSAT, GRE, ACT and SAT Instructor
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/LSATadam