to the top

#2 - Lewis: Those who do not learn from past mistakes

Administrator
LSAT Legend

Question Explanation

Point at Issue. The correct answer choice is (C)

Both speakers would agree to the statement in answer choice (A), and thus it is incorrect.

In answer choice (C), the word "unequivocal" can be defined as "certain," and Lewis would agree with the statement while Morris would disagree with the statement. Since the two speakers disagree about the statement in answer choice (C), it is the correct answer.

Answer choice (D) is factual in nature, and since the disagreement is moral in nature, it is incorrect.
Tyler
LSAT Apprentice

Can I have an explanation as to why exactly answer choice A is wrong? I chose A because I thought it passed the Agree/Disagree test. Thanks!
Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Morris does not allege that every fact has already been contested. Morris is instead claiming that we are able to prove any conclusion from the "storehouse of events."
Etsevdos
LSAT Leader

What is wrong with B?
Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi Etsevdos,

The question stem asks you to identify the issue that Morris raises. (B) doesn't match very well with Morris's statement. For one, "useful" is too general--Morris does not say that historical knowledge is not useful. His argument is more that since history includes so many events, it is possible to find support for anything. Another problem with (B) is that it is unclear what "too narrow" would mean, since Morris doesn't use that expression. I might interpret (B) to mean that historical knowledge may not be useful without additional types of knowledge, which is not at all similar to what Morris says.

I hope this was helpful!
sa3334
LSAT Apprentice

Can you go over what exactly Morris is saying? I'm confused by the wording of the stimulus. Thanks!
James Finch
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi SA,

Morris is arguing that history is too vast and may be interpreted in an infinite number of ways, so attempting to learn anything of value from it is foolish; anyone can prove anything by cherry-picking historical facts. Answer choice (C) is closest to what we can infer is Morris's conclusion, so it is the correct answer.

Hope this helps!