LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ellen,

Your diagram is correct. We'll look into making this more clear in the explanations.

Best,
Kelsey
 adlindsey
|
I got this question right, but I struggled diagramming it. I've read all the posts and the explanation, and I'm confused. I diagrammed it just like the explanation on the 1st statement says: If 4th year, then guaranteed dorm room. But all the previous posts from the past are saying it's the other way: If guaranteed dorm room, then 4th year. I ask, because, the admin explanation is the most recent post.

Also, I believe the 1st two posts (BlueBallon) on this page are from another question.
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Adlindsey,

I'm sorry for the difficulty. There was an error both in the diagram of the problem (Statement 1 was reversed) and in the explanation for Answer Choice A. I have corrected both.

You are correct that the sufficient condition here is "Guaranteed dorm room," which guarantees "4th year student."

GDR :arrow: 4YS

The next statement is as above:

4YS & DL :arrow: Pick before ~4YS

Thus we have conclusive evidence for answer choice D.

Notice the particular syntax "the only" which precedes the sufficient condition. In the absence of "the," "only" generally introduces a necessary condition. Compare the following statements:

"The only students guaranteed dorm rooms are fourth year students."

vs

"Only fourth year students are guaranteed dorm rooms."

vs

"You're only guaranteed a dorm room if you're a fourth year student."

All three are logically equivalent (In the last example "only ... if" is technically a "phrasal conjunction" in which "only" has been separated from but should be understood together with "if," i.e. "You're guaranteed a dorm room only if you're a fourth year student."). Fun syntax, dude! Thank you for spotting that mistake. Well done.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.