LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must Be True. The correct answer choice is (A).

This stimulus is fairly straightforward. The first sentence offers information about what happens to buried pigweed seeds in the spring. The second sentence tells us what this event accomplishes: it exposes the pigweed seeds to sunlight, which stimulates receptors, which in turn stimulate germination. We know the last sentence is the conclusion because it takes these two observations and makes a broader point based on these premises: without this specific pattern of events, pigweed seeds will not germinate. Any pigweed seed that doesn't undergo these events (being buried for a long time, and then being briefly exposed to sunlight) does not germinate.

The question stem tests our understanding of this conclusion as it applies to a specific example, which the question stem provides. In this example, we know that the first condition of the conclusion has been filled: pigweed seeds have experienced prolonged darkness, because they've been buried in the soil all winter. So one important point we should be looking for is whether the seeds are going to be exposed to sunlight.

Don't forget to sort the answer choices into Contenders and Losers!

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. Here, in the first example, the seeds are being plowed only at night. This means that they're not being briefly exposed to sunlight, as required for germination. Therefore, they won't germinate! In the second example, the seeds are exposed to sunlight during the day, so they will germinate.

**Note: as we've seen before, it's very important to understand what kinds of valid conclusions can be drawn from a broad, strong statement. Here, the conclusion of the stimulus tells us that all pigweed seeds must have prolonged darkness and then brief exposure to sunlight, or they can't germinate. The first example in answer choice A says "fewer" pigweed plants will grow if these conditions aren't met than if they are met. Based on the stimulus conclusion, however, we could actually say that no pigweed plants will grow when the conditions haven't been met. Is "no plants" fewer than "some plants"? Definitely. Test takers will frequently be tested on your understanding of the relationship between "all", "some", "at least one", and "none".

Answer choice (B) Both of the examples here do not expose the seeds to sunlight, so they both would be equally futile at getting the seeds to germinate. If there's some other factor involved (say, cows walk through the fields at day, exposing the seeds to sunlight even when they aren't plowed), we don't know enough about it to be able to draw any conclusion.

Answer choice (C) Both of the examples here do not expose the seeds to sunlight. Again, we don't know the other possible factors involved, so we can't draw any conclusions about which might be more effective.

Answer choice (D) The conclusion of the stimulus tells us two requirements for germination: prolonged darkness, and exposure to sunlight. We don't know what's required after these two basic requirements are met. We can't conclude that the seeds have to be redeposited under the surface of the soil, as much as common sense might tell us that it's probably true. There's still the possibility that they might germinate on the surface. In Must Be True questions, always use just the information that's been given to you in the stimulus.

Answer choice (E) This one's a bit trickier, because it tests your understanding of the other part of the example: the part where the seeds have been buried in the soil. You should be able to see that the example doesn't tell us that all pigweed seeds in the field have been buried in the soil all winter. It just says "pigweed seeds have been buried". So if we find some seeds already on the surface of the soil before the field has been plowed, there's a chance that these seeds were never buried. The missing "all" and the suspicious circumstances should point you to the possibility that these seeds haven't met the required conditions for germination. Always watch out for qualifiers like "all".
 lbayliyeva@unm.edu
|
Could you please, explain why the response to question 4 is A?

The last premise states that "without the prolonged darkness, followed by exposure to sunlight, the seeds do not geminate." At night, there is no light; consequently, in my opinion, no and not fewer pigment plans will grow." Furthermore, all premises earlier support the argument that exposure to light is a necessary condition to trigger germination.

What am I missing?

What specific premises "permit" pigweed plants to grow? Why "fewer pigweed plants?"
Last edited by lbayliyeva@unm.edu on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

Thanks for your question. According to the last sentence in the stimulus, for pigweed seeds to germinate, two necessary conditions must be met: prolonged darkness, followed by exposure to sunlight.

The question stem tests our understanding of this conditional relationship by positing a hypothetical: what if we plow the field in the spring, when the seeds have been buried in the soil all winter? Clearly, the first condition has been met -- the seeds have experienced prolonged darkness. But what about the second? If we plow the field at night only, the exposure of the pigweed seeds to sunlight will be limited (or non-existent). It is reasonable to infer, therefore, that fewer pigweed plants will grow in that case. You are right: it is quite likely that no pigweed plants will grow if we plow the field only at night. That does not make answer choice (A) incorrect: zero plants is still "fewer" than some plants. Indeed, the word "fewer" does not exclude the possibility of no plants growing: although "fewer" is not as precise as "none," it is still a provable statement.

Let's say I scored a 130 on the LSAT. If I told you "My score was lower than 180," would that be a provable statement? Yes. Or, let's say there are 100 pencils in the classroom and you have none of them. Do you have fewer than 100? Yes - we can prove "fewer than 100." This is the essence of the Prove Test: can you establish, with absolute certainty, that a given answer choice Must Be True? It doesn't have to be precise, nor does it have to be a summary of everything we know. It simply needs to state a provable claim.

Does that make sense? Let me know!
 lbayliyeva@unm.edu
|
Thank you so much for the response. The explanation makes perfect sense. I especially appreciate your examples. Since they are relatable, they were very helpful.
I did not realize that "fewer" does not exclude the possibility that no plants growing. It makes sense that it is because it is a provable statement. "Fewer" could also include none. Mathematically, it could probably be expressed as "less than 100% to zero (none)."
 lathlee
|
Admin edit: due to LSAC policies and copyright law, complete LSAT questions cannot be posted online. However, posting in this section of the forum (Test Explanations) immediately identifies the question, and eliminates the need for the text to be posted. Note: you can quote small sections of the question as needed for your question.

I am just totally lost in this question. I don't even know how to solve it.
I recognize there are a lot of there are a lot of conditional reasoning involved here as in of

Soil is plowed in the spring ---> Pig-weed seeds that have been buried in the soil all winter churned up AND Redeposited just under the surface.

also, question stem , the last conclusion part, without the prolonged darkness, followed by exposure to sunlight, the seeds do not germinate. do i apply unless equation here?

Seeds Germinate ----> the prolonged darkness and the exposure to sunlight.

Now what do i need to do to get this question right
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lathlee,

I’ve moved this post to the thread explaining this question. Please reference the explanations in the posts above!

Also, please, please, please refrain from posting the original content of the question. I've removed all references to the answer choices you included in your post.

Thanks!
 lexigibbs
|
I have a question about the homework question from Logical Reasoning. I am confused how the answer is correct.
L1 HW Must Be True 1-86/4 the correct answer is A

Thanks!!
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, Lexi!

First off, you should review the lesson to make sure that you are solid about what you're looking for in a credited response to a Must Be True question or a Main Point question and that you know the common traps and characteristics that make other answer choices incorrect. This takes a lot of practice, and you've got to have a firm grounding in the fundamentals.

Now for your question.

Question 4: Must Be True

Find an answer choice you can prove. We know a couple things. Pigweed that have been exposed to sunlight after having been buried for months can germinate, while those that do not get exposed to sunlight after prolonged darkness do not germinate.

Therefore, we can prove that fewer pigweed plants will grow in fields plowed only at night since the seeds in such a field will not be exposed to the sunlight necessary for germination.
 amandamarieco
|
Hi There - I'm confused as to why the answer isn't B. I'm wondering why "time" isn't a factor here. This is what I mean: for choice B, if the field is plowed at night, won't it eventually receive sunlight in the morning when the sun hits? Wouldn't fewer pigweed plants grow in the field if it's not plowed at all in comparison to if it's plowed only at night? I feel that the stimulus more strongly supports that the seeds not plowed at all will not germinate in comparison to the statement in answer A that the seeds will not germinate if plowed at night.

Hopefully this makes sense - long day of full-time job + studying is making me delirious :-?
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Amanda,

Good question! The issue concerns what happens after the seeds are "redeposited just beneath the surface." We cannot make the assumption that the ploughed seeds will remain exposed to any light, even though they are "redeposited just beneath the surface." Therefore we cannot make with certainty the distinction made in answer choice (B), that is, that fewer pigweed plants will grow if not ploughed at all vs if ploughed only at night.

The only certain distinction we have is between definite exposure to sunlight (daytime ploughing) and likely lack of exposure to sunlight (night ploughing). This likely lack of sunlight exposure to the night-ploughed pigweed seeds lends sufficient support to make (A) the most strongly supported statement.

I hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.