LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Parallel Reasoning—PR. The correct answer choice is (E)

The stimulus describes the best way to write a good detective story: work backwards from the crime by deciding what the crime is and then the surrounding details. The question stem asks you to identify an answer choice that illustrates that principle. The first step, then, is to produce an abstraction of the principle in the argument. The abstraction should be broad and not reference detective stories or crimes because the principle will have to be applied to new situations that likely will not be about crimes or stories. A good abstraction of the principle underlying the argument would be: the best way to achieve a goal is to work backwards by planning the outcome and then figuring out the elements that lead to that outcome.

Answer choice (A): The first part of this answer choice is attractive, but starting at “but, for most of us,” the answer choice introduces a section of text that somewhat counters the principle underlying the argument in the stimulus.

Answer choice (B): This answer choice reverses the order of events described in the principle.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice does not parallel the principle underlying the stimulus because it indicates that architectural plans and constructions are intertwined, and cannot be separated out into a linear progression that moves backwards after a goal has been established.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice promotes a principle wherein multiple paths are taken in an attempt to reach a goal. This is markedly different than the principle contained within the stimulus.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice.
 srcline@noctrl.edu
|
Hello,

I am not understanding the difference between B and E. I originally chose B. B and E seem identical to me.

Thankyou
Sarah
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your question. Generally speaking, we need a bit more input from you before we delve into a discussion of a particular LR question. Ultimately, it won't be us who are taking the test; it's you! :-) Our goal is to help you cultivate the analytical ability to approach these questions on your own, which is why you need to help us help you first.

Here's what I'd like you to do:
  • 1. Describe your approach to the stimulus. Did you understand the argument, if any, from a structural standpoint? What is the conclusion, and what evidence is the author using in support of that conclusion?

2. Did you prephrase an answer to the question in the stem? If so, what was your prephrase?

3. What exactly made the two answer choices you have listed particularly attractive? Did you use any question type-specific test (e.g. Assumption Negation Technique) to differentiate between them?
Thanks,
 AnnBar
|
Hello,

Could you please explain how it is that answer choice B is reversing the order.

Thank you
 Charlie Melman
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ann,

The stimulus says we should work backwards: crime, then circumstances. Answer choice (B) says we should work forwards: prepare soil, then decide what to plant. Reversing backwards gets you to forwards.

Hope this helps.
 jessicamorehead
|
Can I safely narrow down the answer choices to B and E based on their use of "should" and then compare their principles? "Should" is used in the question's stimulus, so I assumed it also had to be used in the correct answer, or am I jumping ahead too far?
 Shannon Parker
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
jessicamorehead wrote:Can I safely narrow down the answer choices to B and E based on their use of "should" and then compare their principles? "Should" is used in the question's stimulus, so I assumed it also had to be used in the correct answer, or am I jumping ahead too far?

I would not take that approach. There are different ways to present the same principle, as the admin illustrated in the first post on this thread it can easily be done without using the word should, e.g. "the best way to do a thing is to start with the end and work backwards." Focusing on the word "should" here could have left you with one incorrect answer choice if the authors had worded the correct answer choice differently, e.g. "the best way to make a great tennis shot is to visualize where you want the shot to go. Then you can determine the position you need to be in to execute the shot properly."

I would follow the approach laid out above. Develop an abstract of the principle illustrated in the stimulus and eliminate answer choices that do not follow that abstract.

Hope this helps.
Shannon
 jessicamorehead
|
Okay, I'll do the abstract approach instead! Thanks for that clarification :)
 cutiepie
|
How is answer choice E not working forwards like B? Visualizing where you want the shot to go before making the shot seems pretty forward, and not backward. Thats why I eliminated E and chose A.
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi cutiepie,

The backwards element of answer choice E comes from the fact that you begin with the "end point" of the shotmaking process in mind. The place where the ball eventually goes is the end point of the process of making a shot (where the ball ends up is the last thing that happens). So, in answer choice E, that end point (that last thing to happen) is what's driving the whole process--everything else you do sets you up to get the ball to that "end point." That's the same as with a detective story. You begin by "visualizing" the end point of the story (the revelation of who the criminal is). Then you set everything up to get to that end point of the story.

I hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.