to the top

#14 - Commentator: In academic scholarship, sources are

BoomBoom
LSAT Leader

Hello,

I was hoping someone could explain why C is the best answer here. I chose D.

Thanks,

Chris
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Chris,

Thanks for your question. Generally speaking, we need a bit more input from you before we delve into a discussion of a particular LR question. Ultimately, it won't be us who are taking the test; it's you! :-) Our goal is to help you cultivate the analytical ability to approach these questions on your own, which is why you need to help us help you first.

Here's what I'd like you to do:

1. Describe your approach to the stimulus. Did you understand the argument, if any, from a structural standpoint? What is the conclusion, and what evidence is the author using in support of that conclusion?

2. Did you prephrase an answer to the question in the stem? If so, what was your prephrase?

3. What exactly made the two answer choices you have listed particularly attractive? Did you use any question type-specific test (e.g. Assumption Negation Technique) to differentiate between them?
Thanks,
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Test Preparation
BoomBoom
LSAT Leader

Hello,

[REDACTED]

2. Prephrase: In certain field, things are clear and public to promote sharing and growth in that field. One tool allows for public access and sharing, while another tool is kept secret and hinders access. Thus the tool that better matches the ideals of the certain field should be used.

3. My prephase was something along those lines when i approached this problem so going into the answers I left A, C, D as contenders. I then eliminated A because of the "most advanced" part. Then I was left with C and D which I thought they were very similar and I wasn't sure what wordage separated these 2 answers and made one superior to the other so I went with D thinking either one could be right.

If you could point out whether I got the conclusions mixed up or where I went wrong and how to attack this question and differentiate between such similar answer choices that'd be great!

Thanks,

Chris
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Chris,

I had to redact your analysis of the argument, as it wasn't as much of an analysis as it was a cut-and-paste of the original stimulus.

The first two-thirds of the stimulus is basically crap that is meant to distract and confuse you. It merely serves to show that open-source software better matches the values of academic scholarship. Fine - I'm sold on that, and it's merely a subsidiary conclusion (as you pointed out yourself). The main conclusion, however, is that universities should use only open-source software. Why? Because academic scholarship is central to their mission. Essentially, the argument boils down to this:

Premise/Sub Conclusion: Open-source software better matches the values of academic scholarship.
Premise: Academic scholarship is central to universities' mission.
Conclusion: Universities should only use open-source software

We are asked to identify a principle to which this line of reasoning conforms. In general, principles are broad, conditional statements that - in this particular case - must strengthen the connection between the premises and the conclusion. Since the conclusion is essentially a recommendation, the correct answer choice will provide a rationale for adopting that recommendation. How about this:
universities should only use tools that reflect the values embodied in the activities (i.e. academic scholarship) central to their mission. If that's true, then the recommendation makes sense.

This prephrase matches answer choice (C). Answer choice (D), by contrast, talks about what form of software technology is most efficient for universities to use. Efficiency had nothing to do with this argument, and as such fails to provide a rationale for adopting the proposed recommendation.

Hope this helps!
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Test Preparation