to the top

#7 - Antonio: One can live a life of moderation by never

BoomBoom
LSAT Leader

Hello,

I was wondering how B is a better answer than D? If someone could explain this I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chris
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Chris,

Thanks for your question. Generally speaking, we need a bit more input from you before we delve into a discussion of a particular LR question. Ultimately, it won't be us who are taking the test; it's you! Our goal is to help you understand what's going on, which is why you first need to do the following:

1. Describe your approach to the stimulus. Did you understand the argument, if any, from a structural standpoint? What is the conclusion, and what evidence is the author using in support of that conclusion?

2. Did you prephrase an answer to the question in the stem? If so, what was your prephrase?

3. What exactly made the two answer choices you have listed particularly attractive? Did you use any question type-specific test (e.g. Assumption Negation Technique) to differentiate between them?
Thanks,
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Test Preparation
BoomBoom
LSAT Leader

Hello,

1. Initially I set it up in my head as follows,

Antonio
P: But then one loses the joy of spontaneity and misses the opportunities that come to those who are occasionally willing to take great chances, or to go too far.

C: One can live a life of moderation by never
deviating from the middle course

Marla
P: But one who, in the interests of moderation, never risks going too far is actually failing to live a life of moderation.

C: One must be moderate even in one’s moderation.

2. Prephrase: Antonio believes a life of moderation is lived by playing it safe all the time and not taking big risks or chances. Marla believes that to live a life of moderation you have to have a balance between sometimes taking big risks and sometimes playing it safe. Therefore, they would disagree on what constitutes a life of moderation.

3. At first glance, I kept answers B and D as contenders. I liked B because it summed up my prephrase but D is the answer I chose because it seemed to sum up the main point of the disagreement better than B.

Perhaps you could point out where I went wrong in my analysis and how to best attack these answer choices to select the best possible answer.

Thanks,

Chris