LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Ask questions about our company, courses, books, and tutoring.
 kim4956
|
Hi,

So I've gotten to a point in my LSAT studying where I feel generally comfortable with the Logical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension questions, but the Logic Games are a mess! I'm fine doing the drills in the homework sections, but the actual games give me so much heartburn! One of my difficulties is in drawing out the rules and sometimes setting up the games. Finding inferences also takes a long time (and/or I miss some of the inferences the answer key mentions).

For the first couple games in each homework section, I have been reading the game, setting up the problem, then looking at the answer key for the setup and inferences, and finally, making sure that I understand why the game is set up that way before solving the problems. I have no problem comprehending the explanations, but I need to get to a point where I don't need to refer to the answer key to check my setup before proceeding to the questions!

Any tips? I know more practice is key, but I do need to improve speed and performance on logic games since there's an entire section on the test!

Thanks!
Kim
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kim,

Thanks for your question! Games can take awhile to finesse, but it sounds like you're doing all the right things, including consulting our explanations and understanding why we set up each game the way we do. One slight modification I'd make to your approach is this: try to set up the game and answer all the questions before you examine our explanations to that game; once you have them, compare them to yours and do the questions again. Do you see a difference? An increase in efficiency? Was our approach superior to yours, and if so, was that due to an inference you didn't make, a decision to undertake a Templates-based approach, or something else? Finally, don't hesitate to return to the same games that initially gave you trouble and do them again. Even if you remember some of the inferences, it's an exceptionally useful exercise that fosters pattern recognition.

I also want to make sure you attack the games properly:
  • 1. Read the scenario and determine: (1) the nature of the game - Linear, Grouping, etc.; (2) the number of variable sets; (3) any relevant numerical information. For instance, is each variable used at least once, at most once, or exactly once? Are all the spaced filled? Can you place more than one variable in each space?

2. Read the rules and understand exactly what they mean, and how they interact with each other. Identify strongly with all rules and isolate those that (1) restrict variable placement the most; (2) connect to other rules, or (3) modify other rules. Make sure to read all the rules before making your diagram!

3. Diagram the scenario and the rules, making sure to represent each rule in a way that would make it impossible to misunderstand what the rule actually meant. In Grouping Games, if in doubt about which set to use as your base, take a look at the wording of the answer choices to the List question.

4. Make inferences and/or Templates. Inferences typically result from: (1) A combination of two or more rules; (2) Limiting structural factors within the game (e.g. Numerical Distributions); (3) Other inferences (“domino effect”). Each inference can potentially lead to another, so examine such potentiality carefully before moving on.
Also, if you notice that the rules (along with any resulting inferences) are sufficiently restrictive to establish only a handful of possible solutions, you may want to sketch out these solutions before proceeding to the questions. Undertaking a Templates-based approach can extend your setup time significantly. However, if done well, it can help you breeze through the questions.

Hope this streamlines your approach a bit! Good luck! :-)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.