LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

jonwg5121
|
Hi,

I had trouble figuring out what the main conclusion was. I was stuck between (A) and (D). To me, "This region must find new ways to help business grow" seemed to support "So there is a need for expansion into new manufacturing areas". Can you please explain to me why this doesn't work? Thanks!
 Anthony Esposito
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jon,

Great question. It's super-important in LR to be able to distinguish what the main conclusion is. I think you'll find it's one of the most fundamental skills to master as you proceed through the course.

For your question, which is a Main Point question, we need to think about what the "big takeaway" is that the author of the passage wants you to remember. So, if you had to pick one thing that the author wanted to communicate to you, what would it be? Well, it probably wouldn't be answer choice (D). In this question, the author comes right and says, "Hey reader, here's what matters to me!" (That would be the first sentence which is the same as Answer Choice (A). Everything else in the stimulus supports that first sentence, and that's why Answer Choice (A) is correct.
 lsatstudier
|
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could further clarify why the answer is A and not D. My initial instinct was answer choice A, but I've gotten several MP questions wrong in the past for choosing sentences that came directly from the stimulus. The use of the word "so" before the statement restated in answer choice D also influenced me in choosing D. Am I overthinking this? How do I not fall in the trap of mistaking which sentence is the conclusion?

Thank you so much!
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
lsatstudier wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if someone could further clarify why the answer is A and not D. My initial instinct was answer choice A, but I've gotten several MP questions wrong in the past for choosing sentences that came directly from the stimulus. The use of the word "so" before the statement restated in answer choice D also influenced me in choosing D. Am I overthinking this? How do I not fall in the trap of mistaking which sentence is the conclusion?

Thank you so much!

Hello lsatstudier,

There is not always a magic way to decide what is the conclusion, but do look to see what sentences or phrases support other sentences or phrases. The word "so" can help point to a conclusion, but it could be a sub-conclusion, not the main conclusion. Also, "sentences that came directly from the stimulus" are not automatically a bad thing.

Hope this helps,
David
 jwheeler
|
I was also stuck between A and D and ended up switching from D to A at the last minute. When I looked at the "need for expansion into manufacturing areas", I was able to determine that this need exists because "this region must find new ways to help businesses grow". If there wasn't a need to help businesses grow, then it wouldn't be necessary for expansion into manufacturing areas to grow. Thus, D supports A. Hope that can help someone else!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
jwheeler,

The need to expand into new manufacturing areas is just one instance of the more general need to find new ways to help businesses grow. As you said, the statement in answer choice (D) supports the statement in answer choice (A), so answer choice (D) cannot be the Main Point.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.