to the top

#21 - Essayist: Winners of a Nobel prize for science, who

Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi TigerJin,

The stimulus doesn't say they are ONLY motivated by financial gain; it just says financial gain is a motivator for them. They could also be motivated by other things, including love of discovery. Accordingly, we just can't say one way or the other whether they are motivated at all by love of discovery.
BostonLawGuy
LSAT Leader

TigerJin wrote:I can see how C is correct, but I don't see how B is wrong. The stimulus says that professional scientists are "often" motivated by financial gain and that they "typically" are Nobel prize winners. So couldn't we say that Nobel prize winners are "typically" not motivated by love of discovery?

Thank you for your answer.

I will chime in in order to help future students.

The stimulus states that UNLIKE professionals, amateurs are SOLEY motived by the "love of discovery ALONE"

We can infer that amateurs have only one motivating factor. Professionals in contrast can have multiple. (they are unlike amateurs).
Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

BLG,

That is true and is why answer choice (C) is correct. The motivations of amateurs are always singular; the motivations of professionals can be mixed. So both your statement and Emily's statement are correct about their respective motivations.

Robert Carroll