to the top

#7 - Politician: Unless our nation redistributes wealth

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Mustafaabdulmalek wrote:In my opinion is the answer B is right and answer E also right but since the question about the conclusion it does make more sense that B is better but not that E a mistaken
Regards,

Hey Mustafa,

I wanted to take a moment and add to Steve's superb answer. In the section I quoted above, you mention that you think B is correct and E, the correct answer according to the test makers, is incorrect. I understand why you think that, and hopefully Steve's analysis explains why B is actually incorrect. But, the thing I wanted to comment on is the idea of disagreeing with the LSAT and the answers they say are right and wrong. While you should use your opinions to ferret out bad arguments, one thing you can't do is argue with the LSAT when it comes to what is right and wrong. when it's all said and done, because they score the test you will lose every time :-D I wrote an article about how you should look at things when you disagree with them, and I'd recommend reading through that. One of the most important things to do while studying is to understand how they think, and to realize that your opinion won't change the answer (although I wish it could sometimes!). The more you do that, the better you will score.

I hope that helps a bit with how to approach situations like this. Thanks!
Dave Killoran
PowerScore Test Preparation

Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DaveKilloran
My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/dave-killoran
PowerScore PodCast: http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/podcast/
Mustafaabdulmalek
LSAT Apprentice

Thanks you for your response but you misunderstood me
I don't think that the answer is correct or not ,you are right but
The thing that I don't get is how answer E the wrong one is a mistaken reversal and how redistribution wealth is sufficient not necessary
Regards
Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hey Mustafa,

Did you get a chance to take a look at the first part of our response? The first part deals with sufficient versus necessary, and the second part with why it's a good idea to avoid disagreeing with the test makers—both are important points to consider, and both seem relevant to this discussion. For convenience I've reproduced the first part of that response below; please take a look and let me know whether it's clear—thanks!

Steve Stein wrote:Hey Mustafa,

That's a good question. You're right about the fact that the word "required" is usually associated with a necessary condition—indeed, the word is actually synonymous with “necessary.”

That answer choice, however, says that wealth distribution is “all that is required.” If you have all that is required to do something, then what you have is sufficient. Consider the following example:

All you need to enter the theater is a ticket. A ticket is all you need for entry.

Another way to phrase this would be “a ticket is sufficient for entry.” Ticket :arrow: Entry

So, if "all that is required" to create justice is wealth distribution, this means that wealth distribution is sufficient to create justice:

Wealth redistribution :arrow: Create Justice

The moral of the story: If something is required, it is necessary. If something is "all that's required," that's sufficient.

Steve Stein
PowerScore Test Preparation
Mustafaabdulmalek
LSAT Apprentice

Thank you very very much for this you made it so clear now
This answer was So helpful
Thanks