to the top

#12 - Politician: It is wrong for the government to restrict

BostonLawGuy
LSAT Leader

After all the past posts on this question, I'm still a bit confused. This question demands conditional diagramming and what has already been diagramed is a bit confusing. Specifically, there does not seem to be any evidence in the stimulus about "preventing" harm, only causing or not causing harm. There is nothing mentioning "preventing harm" in the stimulus and I think that is where my confusion lies since that term is the one that links the premises.

My diagram seems to make sense enabling easier linkage but I would like confirmation if it's actually accurate and if it is, am I reading the contrapositive correctly? I am using CAPS to show what and how I linked the premises.

It's not wrong to restrict liberty :arrow: (fi not to do so, would) CAUSE HARM
Publishing :arrow: liberty
Offend :arrow: not CAUSE HARM

STEP 2: CONDITIONAL LINKAGE (using contrapositive of offend :arrow: not cause harm)

It is not wrong to restrict liberties :arrow: CAUSE HARM :arrow: /offend

Reading the contrapositive of this statement is an exact match for the correct answer A. Did I arrive at the right conclusion using correct conditional logic linkage?
James Finch
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi BLG,

This question actually only contains one conditional statment, in the first sentence:

Wrong to Restrict Liberty (WRL) :arrow: Cause Harm (CH)

and its contrapositive:

CH :arrow: WRL

Then it gives us specific examples that would fall under the general conditions given:

Publish = Liberty

Offend = Cause Harm

From this, we can see we have to apply the contrapositive to the situation, which gives us:

CHOffend :arrow: WRLPublish

Meaning that it would be wrong to restrict publication of offensive material. Answer choice (A) reflects this, making it the correct answer.

Hope this helps!
rohall
LSAT Novice

Steve Stein wrote:Hi Nadia,

Thanks for your follow-up. The first sentence provides that it is wrong to restrict liberty, except perhaps when failing to do so would allow harm. In other words, if it is not wrong to restrict liberty, we know that failing to do so would allow harm:

Wrong to restrict liberty :arrow: failing to restrict would allow for harm

...the contrapositive of the above statement provides that if failing to restrict something would not allow for harm, it would be wrong to restrict liberty:

failing to restrict would allow for harm :arrow: Wrong to restrict liberty

Choice (A) works with the statement above for confirmation: if a publication is only offensive, then failing to restrict it would not allow for harm, so it would be wrong to restrict liberty in that scenario:

merely offensive :arrow: failing to restrict would allow for harm :arrow: Wrong to restrict liberty

Answer choice (E) can be ruled out, because, as you point out, "serious" is not supported by the stimulus.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve

I'm confused about this one because don't we need to negate "It is wrong" to "it is not wrong" in the first sentence...given the except rule?
Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi Rohall,

You are correct. The first line of your quote shows " wrong to restrict liberty" as underlined when it should look crossed out. But the contrapositive below shows the correct relationship. not failing to restrict would allow for harm :arrow: wrong to restrict liberty.

Hope that helps!
RandyB
LSAT Novice

Wheres the answer????
Stephanie Turaj
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi Randy,

The answer for this question is A, and you can find an explanation on page 1 of this thread: https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewtopic.php?f=581&t=7485. Thanks! :)