LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to LSAT Reading Comprehension.
 newhousj
|
I've taken the online course, have completed all the lesson homeworks, and have taken ~12 practice tests. My score has increased 14 points since my first test, which is exciting. But I recently realized that almost all of my gains have come from LG and LR. That is to say, I'm getting the exact same amount of q's wrong on RC as I did when I first started studying in January. I'd really like to improve on this section, as a decent improvement (3-4 more correct answers) would get me to my goal score without even needing improvement in LG.

So, my overly general question is this: How can I improve my RC score? What study techniques should I be pursing that I am not currently pursuing? Obviously, I plan on going through all the PS supplements on RC and reviewing what you guys instruct. I'm hoping you have additional advice, though, because (as you know) the course does not focus on RC. It (rightfully so) focuses on LG and LR, the more intimidating sections of the tests.
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
newhousj wrote:I've taken the online course, have completed all the lesson homeworks, and have taken ~12 practice tests. My score has increased 14 points since my first test, which is exciting. But I recently realized that almost all of my gains have come from LG and LR. That is to say, I'm getting the exact same amount of q's wrong on RC as I did when I first started studying in January. I'd really like to improve on this section, as a decent improvement (3-4 more correct answers) would get me to my goal score without even needing improvement in LG.

So, my overly general question is this: How can I improve my RC score? What study techniques should I be pursing that I am not currently pursuing? Obviously, I plan on going through all the PS supplements on RC and reviewing what you guys instruct. I'm hoping you have additional advice, though, because (as you know) the course does not focus on RC. It (rightfully so) focuses on LG and LR, the more intimidating sections of the tests.
Hello newhous,

While I don't have any special magic tricks, I'll note that sometimes when people change their reading habits outside of LSAT study, that has an effect that can help you on the LSAT.
For example, I once recommended to a student who, like you, had RC improvement questions, that she go get a copy of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien and read it. (It's great literature, after all...) It seemed to work! She said her RC improved after that.
Now maybe that was just a fluke, but it's true that if people improve the quality and quantity of their leisure reading, rather than, say, just playing video games all day, that might make people better readers.
Another thing I've recommended to people is to take newspaper opinion articles and analyze those, in VIEWSTAMP fashion. So, you could do this at the morning breakfast table--learn while you eat!
And, of course, it's good that you're going over all the PowerScore RC material, which has much valuable advice that I'm not going to repeat here, since you're going to re-read it anyway. (Except, I shall repeat the general message of having a positive attitude when doing RC, treating each passage as a fun challenge, and something you can learn from about a particular topic, rather than being a terrible ordeal, or boring, etc.) Best of luck,

Hope this helps,
David

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.