LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to LSAT Reading Comprehension.
 Kmikaeli
|
Are these viewpoints that are not opinionated like those of critics or others like the author. I understand that a viewpoint is a position or approach of the subject/topic under discussion. However, is a neutral viewpoint one that is purely informative and fact based in regards to the topic under discussion?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

Thanks for your message! "Viewpoint-neutral" in the context of reading comprehension refers to an author's reporting of the facts, as you said, where the author's opinion on the matter is not stated or implied in the language used.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear and responsive to your question--thanks!

Steve
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

Indeed, a neutral point of view is one that seeks to state the facts as impartially as possible. To achieve such neutrality, the proponent of a neutral viewpoint will generally avoid favoring one opinion over another. The language will be nonjudgmental, and the opinions expressed - if any - will not use overly assertive or definitive language. A neutral point of view is generally descriptive, rather than prescriptive: the goal is to inform, rather than convince, the reader.

Does that make sense?

Thanks!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks! I would also add that remaining viewpoint-neutral need not be the result of a deliberate effort on the part of the author; in some cases it has a lot to do with the topic at hand. For example, you are more likely to see viewpoint neutrality in an author's discussion of a scientific process than in an author's description, say, of a musician's body of work.

I hope that's helpful! Please let us know whether this is all clear--thanks!

~Steve
 Kmikaeli
|
I got it thanks everyone!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.