to the top

February 2015 LSAT Discussion Thread

Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Congrats to those who took the February LSAT today! Here's a thread where you can post your comments and questions about the exam, and engage with fellow test takers and even some PowerScore instructors!

To that end, we want to share with you in advance the topics we can discuss, and some things to avoid.

It's fine to talk about the section order of your test. For example, it would be great if you let us know: "I had two Logical Reasoning sections, then two Games sections, and then finished up with Reading Comprehension (LR-LR-LG-LG-RC)." We'd also love to hear your thoughts on the difficulty of the each section, including the games and the passages. For example, after the October 2013 test, folks were discussing the difficulty of the “Prions” Reading Comprehension passage.

You can also talk about the general subjects of the games and the passages you encountered. So, for example, you could say "I had a game about a concert promoter scheduling six bands at a concert, a game in which at least four of eight employees are selected for a research team, a game about five movies shown on three screens, and a game with five lectures on birds in two possible locations." You can even mention the game type, e.g., Linear Setup or Grouping. The same goes for reading comprehension, in terms of the basic passage subject, e.g., “Prions” or “Happiness and Wealth.”

The guiding principle for our conversation here is that we don't want to give other people an unfair advantage on the test. There are some circumstances in which some folks may take the LSAT later than others. If details about specific test questions were to show up on the internet before those people take the LSAT (like which answers were right or wrong), then they would have an advantage over those who took the test earlier. Their advance knowledge could hurt your chances to get into the school of your choice, and so it's important to avoid sharing those kinds of details.

We look forward to a great afternoon of conversation! SO, how'd it go?!

PowerScore
Jon Denning
PowerScore Test Preparation

Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/jonmdenning
My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/jon-denning
Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Some early news drifting through the interwebs about the real Reading Comp passages:

In no particular order, the real passages appear to have been an African American comic strip, a science passage on dark matter and the expanding universe, a legal passage about exclusive property ownership, and a comparative on banks/financing in the 3rd world.

Let us know if that corresponds with your experience and what you thought of the section!
Jon Denning

Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/jonmdenning
My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/jon-denning
nisp99
LSAT Novice

Order of my sections: LR, Games, LR, LR, RC

The 3rd LR section was definitely the hardest. The rest have blurred themselves together in my mind. Any ideas which section was the experimental? I can't seem to remember which sections particular questions came from.

Games were not easy, but manageable I thought.

Overall seemed to be going fairly well, until RC really took me for a turn. First passage on comics was bizarre (threw off my timing), and there really didn't seem to be any passage that let up so much on the difficulty.
corrine
LSAT Novice

I took the February LSAT last weekend, and I'm trying to figure out if I should cancel. I've waited 3 days, read your Post LSAT section many times (as well as other helpful discussion boards and websites), and I'm still not sure. I know nobody can give me the correct answer, but I was wondering if I could have some more input?

I took the Online Power score class. I felt prepared- my scores increased, I was within the range of scores that I wanted on my practice tests. But during the official LSAT, I had a mini panic attack. Section 1 was LR, and I think I did well. Section 2 was Logic Games- I usually do well on those, especially after the course. However, I don't know if these games were harder or if it was because of my stress level, but I froze. I think I pulled it out ok. I moved on and told myself that it was experimental and I would be ok. But then my next 2 sections were Logical Reasoning again, and I freaked out. I think I did alright on them, but not as well as I usually do. By the last section (Reading Comprehension), I was completely freaked out and couldn't focus. I re-read the first passage many times and still couldn't retain everything. After 10 minutes, I cut my losses and moved on to the next passages. I didn't leave any blank, and I can atleast remember what those last 3 passages were about and in what order, but I highly doubt I did well on the section as a whole. My "worst case" LSAT estimate is a 150, and my "best case" is a 161. Every practice test I took in the past 2 months fell between 158-165. I was aiming for something higher than a 165.

Aside from "it's okay to cancel one LSAT score" and "you can always retake it again"- is there anything else I can do to help me make this decision? How "frowned upon" would it be to get a bad score and then retake it in June and do much better? If I cancel, then I have to completely start over with a clean slate... which is also mentally daunting in its own right and might put even more pressure on me for the June test... Has anyone cancelled in the past? Or freaked out mid-test and had it turn out ok?
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi corrine,

Thanks for your question, and sorry the test didn't go as well as you had hoped. Everyone feels a bit anxious when taking the test for real, and - to be perfectly honest - this is not necessarily a bad thing. Some anxiety can be quite helpful in promoting a more active, aggressive approach to the test. Unfortunately, it sounds like you choked on one section, and you let that snowball into a full-blown panic by the end of the test.

Personally, I think you should cancel. Here's why: Even in your best case scenario, you are nowhere near your target score. In fact, your best case scenario is more in line with the lowest scores you've been getting on your practice tests (high-150's). In all likelihood, your February score will be somewhere in the mid-150's, which is at least 10 points lower than what you were hoping for. Whatever your score ends up being, you'll have to re-take in June. So, the better question is - why would you want to keep your score, other than sheer curiosity (which is never a good reason)?

Judging from the last question you asked, it sounds as if canceling is daunting because you might have to "start over with a clean slate." However, how you prepare for June should not depend on whether you cancel or keep your score. In either case, you won't be starting with a clean slate: you've been studying for months, and you'll have access to all the online materials until June anyway. Furthermore, even if low scores are no longer "frowned upon," you are still better off with one high score than with a low and a high score. While most schools will recognize your highest score only, some still look at both. The latter may, or may not, average the two. Just because having two scores is no longer something we worry about doesn't mean it's preferable to having only one score. It isn't.

If it's virtually certain that you'll have to retake in June (and seems like it is), I don't think there is a compelling reason to keep your February score. You won't even get a chance to learn from your mistakes, as the February administration is not disclosed. Just cancel and move on! :)

Good luck!
Nikki Siclunov